Urgent ... Excel export from Access larger than from SQL server??????

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access ADP SQL Server' started by M O J O, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. M O J O

    M O J O Guest

    Hi,

    Thank you for taking time to help me out!!!

    I have a table in my SQL Server 2000 that I need to export to an Excel
    file.

    When I export this table from the SQL Enterprise Manager (Export
    data...) and export it in Excel97-2000 format, the file size is 90k.

    If I link this same SQL table into an Access2003 database and export the
    data as Excel97-2003, the filesize is 160k.

    Why????

    What is Access exporting that SQL server is not?

    Thanks a million!!!

    M O J O

    M O J O, Jan 14, 2005

  2. M O J O

    Guest Guest

    RE: Urgent ... Excel export from Access larger than from SQL server???

    Assumming both files are EXACTLY identical (No. rows, columns, cell-format
    etc.) the conversion mechanisms from SQL Server are bound to be different
    from those of Access 2003.

    Have you tried exporting from each to the same flat file format then using
    Windiff to identify any differences?

    regards,

    Tim G-J
    Professional Patabase Solutions Ltd.
    (www.pdbsolutions.co.uk)

    Guest, Jan 14, 2005

  3. M O J O

    John Vinson Guest

    Re: Urgent ... Excel export from Access larger than from SQL server???

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:17:57 -0500, "PAUL TRAMANTANA"
    <> wrote:

    >hello i am new at this and i have a problem in Excell, I would like top sum
    >a collum every time I add money to the collum it should add up all the
    >entries.
    >how do I do this?

    Paul, you have asked this question in several newsgroups for the
    database programs Microsoft Access and SQL/Server - but it appears to
    be specifically a question about how to use Excel. I'd suggest you
    post in microsoft.public.excel.general or another appropriate Excel
    newsgroup.

    But to answer - if you put an expression

    =Sum(B2..B65535)

    in cell B1 of a spreadsheet, it will sum all the numbers below it in
    column B.

    John W. Vinson[MVP]

    John Vinson, Jan 20, 2005
  4. M O J O

    Guest Guest

    Re: Urgent ... Excel export from Access larger than from SQL server???

    screw Excel

    it is the root of all problems in modern corporate america

    50% of the employees spend 50% of their time updating the same spreadsheet;
    week in and week out.

    there is a better way

    Guest, Jan 26, 2005