Uprgading to XP Pro from 2000 Pro

G

Hi,

I'm trying to unpgrade Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Professional but am stuck in a loop. Each time the computer restarts (without booting from the XP CD) it attempts to continue or restart the upgrade and each time I get the error message: sxs.dll e:\I386\asms\6000\msft\windows\common\controls\controls.man, Syntax error in manifest or policy file, and it tells me that the upgrade cannot continue.

But, I have found that I am unable to boot the computer using Windows 2000 Professional which seems to have been uninstalled - I can't even boot up from a boot disk I had created with Windows 2000 Pro.

Is the best option to perform a clean install?

Thanks

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

"Manifest Parse Error" is indicative of a bad CD. Use the
original Windows XP installation CD. If you are using it,
then request a replacement.

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Hi,
|
| I'm trying to unpgrade Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Professional but am stuck in a loop. Each
time the computer restarts (without booting from the XP CD) it attempts to continue or restart the upgrade and
each time I get the error message: sxs.dll e:\I386\asms\6000\msft\windows\common\controls\controls.man, Syntax
error in manifest or policy file, and it tells me that the upgrade cannot continue.
|
| But, I have found that I am unable to boot the computer using Windows 2000 Professional which seems to have
been uninstalled - I can't even boot up from a boot disk I had created with Windows 2000 Pro.
|
| Is the best option to perform a clean install?
|
| Thanks

Ask a Question