uploads from forms...

G

hi, I'm a newbie designing a website. I set up one form with an "upload field" where customers are supposed to send files to us (documents such as .txt, .doc, .pdf, etc). But, here's the problem: my hosting account support say they don't allow outside acces to their servers. As far as I know, with FP you create a folder for the uploads, which resides in the hosting server. Is there a way to solve this? Perhaps have the customer's files sent to an email address or whatever you consider appropriate for this situation

Thanks very much for your help

alfredo

S

Stefan B Rusynko

The host servers needs the FP2002 SE w/ file upload enabled per
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299763&Product=fp2002

--

| hi, I'm a newbie designing a website. I set up one form with an "upload field" where customers are supposed to send files to us
(documents such as .txt, .doc, .pdf, etc). But, here's the problem: my hosting account support say they don't allow outside acces to
their servers. As far as I know, with FP you create a folder for the uploads, which resides in the hosting server. Is there a way to
solve this? Perhaps have the customer's files sent to an email address or whatever you consider appropriate for this situation?
|
| Thanks very much for your help.
|
| alfredo

A

Andrew Murray

Your host must mean they don't allow users to upload files to the server
(obviously they can browse your site and that is technically "outside access to
their server".....if they didn't allow 'outside access' then you wouldn't have a
site at all, since most viewers would not be members of that particular host.

Can you verify what exactly they mean "outside access" ?

Regarding the Frontpage Upload field - this feature may not be enabled by your
host by default; they have the choice what to allow and what not to in respect of
the server extension functionality.

The host has to allow the upload element to be enabled. They may consider
people sending files to you (or uploading them to the server) a security risk -
there's no control over the types of files (eg restricting it to text or pdf for
example you can upload anything exe.com and other executables as well and
remember double clicking an executeable runs the program, not open the file -
which could release a potention virus threat.

The 'upload' field does not send you the email with an attachment (unfortunately
it is not that sophisticated!), it uploads the file literally to your web
server/site home directory..

Third Party scripts I've seen to have the feature of emailing you from the html
form with an attachment Using the browse field, but you'd probably have the same
problem as with the frontpage upload field.; does your host allow third party
scripts to be run, and more specifically scripts that allow uploading files
and/or sending files via email forms - again they might consider this 'outside
access to their servers" - whatever that might mean.

alfredo said:
hi, I'm a newbie designing a website. I set up one form with an "upload field"
where customers are supposed to send files to us (documents such as .txt, .doc,
..pdf, etc). But, here's the problem: my hosting account support say they don't
allow outside acces to their servers. As far as I know, with FP you create a
folder for the uploads, which resides in the hosting server. Is there a way to
solve this? Perhaps have the customer's files sent to an email address or
whatever you consider appropriate for this situation?
Thanks very much for your help.
alfredo

T

Thomas A. Rowe

The best work around it to have the user complete the form, then went is received, reply to user
with a email address they can send an attachment to.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

alfredo said:
hi, I'm a newbie designing a website. I set up one form with an "upload field" where customers are
supposed to send files to us (documents such as .txt, .doc, .pdf, etc). But, here's the problem: my
hosting account support say they don't allow outside acces to their servers. As far as I know, with
FP you create a folder for the uploads, which resides in the hosting server. Is there a way to solve
this? Perhaps have the customer's files sent to an email address or whatever you consider
appropriate for this situation?

G

My question to hosting guys

I set up a form where people have to upload files to my site or an email address... is this possible with your hosting? That means visitor uploads file to folder in your servers.

their answer

Unfortunately we do not allow outside access to the hosting accounts. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm going to study: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299763&Product=fp200

Or do what Thomas recommended, but perhaps some clients will find it annoying to fill the form/receive a reply/finally send their file

Thanks for all your help

alfredo

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Studying the KB article will not solve the issue, if the host doesn't allow uploads. If you don't
think my solution is the solution that your clients will accept, then you will have to find another
web host that does allow file uploading by site visitors, either with FP or via a server-side script
such as ASP, PHP, CGI-Perl, CFM, etc.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

alfredo said:
My question to hosting guys:

I set up a form where people have to upload files to my site or an email address... is this
possible with your hosting? That means visitor uploads file to folder in your servers.
their answer:

Unfortunately we do not allow outside access to the hosting accounts. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm going to study: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299763&Product=fp2002

Or do what Thomas recommended, but perhaps some clients will find it annoying to fill the
form/receive a reply/finally send their file.

G

how about this suggested by my hosting provider

....there is really only one thing I can think of that would allow you to do what you wish - rather than have the form submit the email through PHP or a script, it could be made to open an email client, and auto populate the subject and text inside the message using the information they have filled out. They would then be able to attach the file to that message, and send it on to you. We would not be able to help you on the coding for this, however I think that you will find a wealth of information on how to create an email link that will populate fields, and then information on scripting a form to make this happen..

----------------------------
how do I "autopopulate" the visitor's message

Is this option valid?

I deeply appreciate all your help, I'm willing to learn

alfredo

T

Thomas A. Rowe

First there is no form involved in this approach, you just create a hyperlink to your email address,
like:

mailto:[email protected]?subject=Attached is my document&body=

I am not sure "&body=" is correct, as I have never had a need to do this. So you will need to wait
for additional replies, if you want to use this approach.

Note: You will have no control over what content the user does or doesn't include into the email.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

alfredo said:
how about this suggested by my hosting provider:

...there is really only one thing I can think of that would allow you to do what you wish - rather
than have the form submit the email through PHP or a script, it could be made to open an email
client, and auto populate the subject and text inside the message using the information they have
filled out. They would then be able to attach the file to that message, and send it on to you. We
would not be able to help you on the coding for this, however I think that you will find a wealth of
information on how to create an email link that will populate fields, and then information on
scripting a form to make this happen...

Ask a Question