Upload to FP Extensions Server drop Link Bar Style

Discussion in 'Microsoft Frontpage' started by Guest, Oct 21, 2004.

    I use an ISP with Front Page 2003 Extensions enabled.

    The upload goes fine and does not display any errors. However, while the
    pages when viewed locally display with the correct style (pixel) for the link
    bar navigation buttons, once I publish and check the site online, those style
    elements are no longer there, and only regular text displays.

    I also noticed that the _derived directory did not upload.

    If I use FTP instead, and upload the entire site and all sub folders, the
    link bar displays with the right style. However, if I again open the remote
    site in FrontPage, the program sets the remote files to their prior state,
    i.e., without the link bar style.

    I am mystified.

    What am I doing wrong?

    The site was initially created using FrontPage2002, but updated with
    FrontPage 2003.

    Any words of wisdom?
    --
    Ulf Wolf
    Wolfstuff

    Guest, Oct 21, 2004

    Ronx Guest

    There are NO FrontPage 2003 extensions - the latest (and probably last) are
    FP2002. Which version of extensions is your host running?

    Custom link bars, and Nav Bar styles other than the default theme require
    FP2002 extensions installed and working on the server.

    Using FTP to upload folders will kill the FrontPage extensions. The
    extensions will need to be checked, and possibly reinstalled.

    --
    Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)

    Ronx, Oct 21, 2004

    Dear Ronx,

    Thanks for your spot on answer. There was a conflict between the default
    style and the link bar style, once I corrected that it all uploaded fine and
    the link bar displayes in the correct style when opened online.

    Only question I have now is why the _derive directory seems to have a
    "hangover" with files from the old, no longer used, style. Shouldn't the
    upload process, or the generation process within FP2003 delete those (I'm
    using pixel now as the default, but used to have eclipse default with pixel
    link bar; the _derive directory still has quite a few eclipse .gif files,
    which I don't see any use for now - should I clean them out manually?)

    Take care, and again, thanks.

    Ulf Wolf

    Guest, Oct 21, 2004

    Ronx Guest

    Using anything other than FrontPage to view files in a FrontPage web is
    fraught with danger - it is very easy to break the extensions.

    Open the online web in FrontPage and use Tools->Recalculate Hyperlinks.
    Open the local web and publish using changed pages only. This should clear
    the excess files.

    Ronx, Oct 21, 2004

    Hi again,

    Actually, I'm not really viewing the files, only listing the directories,
    both locally and remote.

    I did what you suggested, but the "eclipse" residue is still present in the
    _derived folder and subfolder. Note that it does any damage, the site works
    and looks fine, but it's just curious that the no longer active style still
    ahs remnants in the files.

    I did a recalculate links on the local site too, and it still contains
    eclipse entries in the _derived folder and subfolder even after the
    recalculate.

    I see what you're saying though, the recalculate should clear them out, but
    it doesn't. Perhaps I've got some settings wrong? What do you think?

    Bottom line, though, is that the online sites now work fine and look they
    way they should -- you've been very helpful.

    Take care,

    Ulf Wolf

    Guest, Oct 21, 2004

    Ronx Guest

    Remove the files locally with Windows Explorer, but do not touch the files
    in the _vti_cnf folder.
    In FrontPage, recalculate Hyperlinks. This will eliminate the files in the
    _vti_cnf folder.
    When you next publish the site (using changed files only) the corresponding
    files in the online web will be deleted.

    I have seen this before, it is nothing to do with your settings. In my
    case, I eventually deleted the entire site (after a year). If space is not
    a consideration, it is safer to leave those extraneous files in place, than
    use FTP (or other non-FrontPage application) to remove them.

    Ronx, Oct 21, 2004

    Hi Ron,

    Thanks so much for the advice. Makes a lot of sense.

    I really appreciate the quick reponse as well.

    Take care,

    Ulf Wolf

    Guest, Oct 21, 2004