updating fields with information from other rows

G

I want to update information in an Access table with information from other rows within the same table. It would be the 'copy' and 'paste' functions from Excel. The select function in an SQL returns the updatable query error. Is there a way to do this without creating another table?

J

John Vinson

I want to update information in an Access table with information from other rows within the same table. It would be the 'copy' and 'paste' functions from Excel. The select function in an SQL returns the updatable query error. Is there a way to do this without creating another table?

Well, Excel is a spreadsheet, Access is a relational database. THEY
ARE NOT THE SAME! In particular, storing calculated fields and storing
data redundantly are generally NOT appropriate in Access.

You can usually create a "Self Join" query joining the table to
another copy of itself, and make this into an update query; could you
post a little more detail about what you want updated, and to what
value you want it updated?

G

The process that I am trying to do is create a table for all days in a month. Information is available for 'business' days only. I have taken a calendar table and inserted the missing days but then need to carry information from Friday to Saturday and Sunday. In some fields it will be constant for the whole month or even longer i.e. department number and in others it will change with each weekend i.e. balances. I am more familiar with languages that allowed the storage on a temporay basis of information that could then be plugged in based on a condition in this case a null field and then cleared and rewriten for the next cycle of processing. I hope this explains it a bit clearer.

Ask a Question