[Update] Xnews v??.01.30

ArjanDotOrg

Xnews v??.01.30

Overview :

Xnews, a free Usenet newsreader for Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP. Features:
100% GNKSA 2.0 (Good Net Keeping Seal of Approval) compliant. - Plonk
file (aka bozo bin). - Quick filter (type in a regex and only articles
whose subject/author match it will be shown) - Score file for advanced
filtering. - Support for multiple servers/identities. - Subscribed
groups can be organized into categories. - Remappable keyboard. -
Binaries handling (mime, base64, uuencode, what have you). - Optional
header and article caching; plus: folders for permanent archival. -
more...

What's New:

+ Per req, you can now specify a port with SMTPHost using the usual
host:port notation.
o ??.01.14 miscounts multiparts.
x Minor cosmetic changes.

Homepage: http://xnews.newsguy.com/

For related software, check out:
http://www.arjan.org/?Internet:News_Clients

Kind regards,

_____
Arjan

E-mail: (e-mail address removed) (remove NOSPAM)
Homepage: Arjan.org's Absolute Freeware Links (http://www.arjan.org)

ArjanDotOrg

Barney said:
<SNIP>
I see that you don't use it. Is this addition newer then my addition of
5.04.25
<SNIP>

I DO use it.
I can't help it if the author gives a ?? in the version name...

Regards,

ARjan

Barney

"ArjanDotOrg" <[email protected]> had
written
I DO use it.
I can't help it if the author gives a ?? in the version name...

Regards,

ARjan
Yes I know what you mean. The last one was 5.40.25 and previous was
??.etc.. I thought Luu was doing the 5. etc and that's what threw
me. At this moment I can't get on the newsguy site for some reason.

Your header indicates User-Agent: G2/0.2. obviously I'm not reading
it right!

Mike Dee

Yes I know what you mean. The last one was 5.40.25 and previous
was ??.etc.. I thought Luu was doing the 5. etc and that's what
threw me.

There have been several 'test' versions since between 5.04.25 and
??, they also had more understandable version numbering schemes,
such as; 6.08.25 and 6.12.01

See:
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/news.software.readers/msg/b1eb89b8be56bf2b?dmode=source>

Naming convention for Xnews. Legend = a.b.c.
a = year of Xnews development, not calendar year
b = month of release
c = day of release

So 6 (years in development) 12 (month released) 01 (day released)

Why Luu placed a ?? in this version I couldn't say. Maybe he's
forgotten how long this program has been out there :)

?? is either 6 or 7, released January 30
At this moment I can't get on the newsguy site for some reason.

I'm not having any problem. Try Xnews 'Help' menu > 'About Xnews'
and click on the link in the 'About Xnews' dialog window.
Your header indicates User-Agent: G2/0.2. obviously I'm not
reading it right!

He was saying he uses Xnews, just not indicating when he uses it. He
happened to be posting via Google Groups (G2/0.2. engine).

Barney

Mike Dee <[email protected]> had
written
[...]

Thanks again Mike. Actualy my server appears to be clogged and will
see about checking it out tonight. I tried as you said and it still
indicates Xnew.newsguy can't be found. I am learning more from you
then the Newsreader NG. I now know what G2/0.2 means.I have been
only doing the "test" upgrade and unaware of the others. I missed a
few in my absence.

Mike Dee

Thanks again Mike. Actualy my server appears to be clogged and will
see about checking it out tonight. I tried as you said and it still
indicates Xnew.newsguy can't be found. I am learning more from you
then the Newsreader NG. I now know what G2/0.2 means.I have been
only doing the "test" upgrade and unaware of the others. I missed a
few in my absence.

You're welcome Barney.
Here's a list of changes made to Xnews since 5.04.25 - Assuming that
you can get to the Newsguy site that is :)

<http://xnews.newsguy.com/test/change.txt>

Barney

Mike Dee <[email protected]> had
written
You're welcome Barney.
Here's a list of changes made to Xnews since 5.04.25 - Assuming that
you can get to the Newsguy site that is :)

<http://xnews.newsguy.com/test/change.txt>

A lot of changes and presumably I got the newest now. No matter how I
try, I can't get on the newsguys site. I got the page you have given me
but when I remove the "test/change.text" part, the same message. I will
give MIE a crack at it. Maybe FF is getting corrupt. It worked when I
downloaded the latest test yesterday!

Barney

Barney <[email protected]> had
written
A lot of changes and presumably I got the newest now. No matter
how I try, I can't get on the newsguys site. I got the page you
have given me but when I remove the "test/change.text" part, the
same message. I will give MIE a crack at it. Maybe FF is getting
corrupt. It worked when I downloaded the latest test yesterday!

I'm back on Mike. I cleared the cash and that seemed to work. Thanks
again!

Mike Dee

I'm back on Mike. I cleared the cash and that seemed to work.
Thanks again!

Almost afraid to ask. Doesn't it clear the cache for you after xxx
hrs, or whatever, automatically?

Oh well, glad to be of assistance, but it sounds to me that you sort
your own problems out for yourself, anyway :)

Xnews is a great program, I'm finding out more about it myself after
2 or 3 years of using the program... For interface; I just love
it... For Filters; aie yi eie ow ow ow oooooooooh I'm gonna get sick
now!!!...

However, interface out ways filters from where I'm sitting.

Never-the-less... Luu Tran is beyond reproach, a genius.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Xnews is a great program, I'm finding out more about it myself after
2 or 3 years of using the program... For interface; I just love
it... For Filters; aie yi eie ow ow ow oooooooooh I'm gonna get sick
now!!!...

However, interface out ways filters from where I'm sitting.

Im curious - what don't you like about the filters? The only thing I
miss with them is the inability to save custom filters. Because of
that, I mostly just use scoring along with the built-in filters.

David Lee

There have been several 'test' versions since between 5.04.25 and
??, they also had more understandable version numbering schemes,
such as; 6.08.25 and 6.12.01

See:
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/news.software.readers/msg/b1eb89b8b
e56bf2b?dmode=source>

Naming convention for Xnews. Legend = a.b.c.
a = year of Xnews development, not calendar year
b = month of release
c = day of release

So 6 (years in development) 12 (month released) 01 (day released)

Why Luu placed a ?? in this version I couldn't say. Maybe he's
forgotten how long this program has been out there :)
probably true ;-) 6.8.25 was released Aug 25, 2003, the next release was
0.1.14 on Jan 14 2005. 0.1.14 probably should have been 8.1.14. Luu got
some ribbing about the "mistake" over in news.software.readers, so
voila, the next version has the year ??

Dave

<snip>

Barney

Mike Dee <[email protected]> had
written
Almost afraid to ask. Doesn't it clear the cache for you after xxx
hrs, or whatever, automatically?

Oh well, glad to be of assistance, but it sounds to me that you
sort your own problems out for yourself, anyway :)

Actualy it should clear but I am thinking my new server might be the
problem. It's seems Xnews works fine but the browsers can't connect
to even the home page. Apparantly if I live long enough we may get
ADSL or cable where I live. I even shut down Avast and Guardian for
a brief test but even though I am supposed at 50.66 Kbs the
connection is clogged.

I had tried just about every free newsreader, but a few years back
got addicted to XNews. I can't say if the XNews needs improvement, I
just get the latest test every so often.

Mike Dee

Im curious - what don't you like about the filters? The only thing I
miss with them is the inability to save custom filters. Because of
that, I mostly just use scoring along with the built-in filters.

Hi »Q«

Ever used a Mac newclient named "MT-NewsWatcher"? This was my preferred
newsclient before Xnews.

Not pretty to look at, but it's filtering was so easy to use and very
powerful. I really miss this in Xnews.

MT-NewsWatcher filtering examples here:
<http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/docs/FiltersRegExp.html>

The open source Gravity now employs PCRE - Perl Compatible Regular
Expressions, I should take another look at that... Just... I do prefer
the Xnews UI.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Hi »Q«

Ever used a Mac newclient named "MT-NewsWatcher"? This was my
preferred newsclient before Xnews.

I've never used it.
Not pretty to look at, but it's filtering was so easy to use and
very powerful. I really miss this in Xnews.

MT-NewsWatcher filtering examples here:
<http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/docs/FiltersRegExp.html>

The open source Gravity now employs PCRE - Perl Compatible Regular
Expressions, I should take another look at that... Just... I do
prefer the Xnews UI.

You've lost me. Xnews does use PCRE for both filtering and scoring,
with more options than appear available with MT-NewsWatcher, at least
from looking at those pages.

Mike Dee

I've never used it.

You've lost me. Xnews does use PCRE for both filtering and scoring,
with more options than appear available with MT-NewsWatcher, at least
from looking at those pages.

Ease of use in implimenting filters.

How in Xnews do I, for example:

Hilight if 'from' contains "»Q«" in alt.comp.freeware.* [using assigned
color] - All posts by »Q« in this heirarchy are given a color and are
hilighted (flagged, I guess). Or is this done in scoring with Xnews?

Highlight if 'subject' matches the regular expression
"(Blowfish|Blowfish ?Advanced)" in * [using assigned color] - So all
posts with Blowfish or Blowfish Advanced in the Subject are hilited in
all heirarchies. Again; Is this done in scoring, not filtering with
Xnews?

Kill if 'subject' matches the regular expression "^\[?F ?A.?" to filter
out all those FA posts I'm not interested in?

Anyway, I guess I'm just not finding Xnews filters easy to impliment as
I did with MTNW, which had easy to use dialogs so that even comatosed
brains like mine could work it out without having to think too hard
about it.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

You've lost me. Xnews does use PCRE for both filtering and
scoring, with more options than appear available with
MT-NewsWatcher, at least from looking at those pages.

Ease of use in implimenting filters.

How in Xnews do I, for example:

Hilight if 'from' contains "»Q«" in alt.comp.freeware.* [using
assigned color] - All posts by »Q« in this heirarchy are given a
color and are hilighted (flagged, I guess). Or is this done in
scoring with Xnews?

Yeah, all your examples are jobs for scoring in Xnews.

Probably safer to use my message IDs than my from header, unless you
want to play with the MIME encoding.

[^alt\.comp\.freeware]
Score:: =1

A score of one will make the post blue; higher scores will give
different colors, but I don't have the colors memorized.
Highlight if 'subject' matches the regular expression
"(Blowfish|Blowfish ?Advanced)" in * [using assigned color] - So
all posts with Blowfish or Blowfish Advanced in the Subject are
hilited in all heirarchies. Again; Is this done in scoring, not
filtering with Xnews?

[.]
Score:: +50
Subject: Blowfish

The +50 adds to the post's score rather than assigning it a score of
50. Any Subject that matches "Blowfish Advanced" will also match just
"Blowfish", so I left that part out.
Kill if 'subject' matches the regular expression "^\[?F ?A.?" to
filter out all those FA posts I'm not interested in?

Killing is done by giving posts a score of -9999. If you're ever
unsure a regex does quite what you want, you can test bye using a
negative score not quite so low.

[.]
Score: -9999
Subject: ^\[?F\s?A

A .? at the end of a regex doesn't add anything. That one needs some
work, as it would kill a Subject such as "Fathers and sons". Probably
^\[f\s?a\b would do what you want.
Anyway, I guess I'm just not finding Xnews filters easy to
impliment as I did with MTNW, which had easy to use dialogs so
that even comatosed brains like mine could work it out without
having to think too hard about it.

There's a scoring dialog (Article | Add to score file) which will let
you create scoring rules based on a few of the current post's headers.
I only use it for quickly killing or watching threads and subthreads
(the radio buttons at the bottom). For anything else, I edit the score
file directly.