[Update] IrfanView v.3.98

CoMa

IrfanView
http://www.irfanview.com/
http://irfanview.tuwien.ac.at/

IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative
FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer
for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003.

It is trying to be simple for beginners and
powerful for professionals.

Version 3.98 (Release date: 2005-12-24)
- Option to support IrfanView by installing Google Toolbar and/or
Google Desktop Search (OPTIONAL !)
- New Thumbnail window option: Load thumbs from all subfolders (CTRL+F)
- Alpha blending effect added for slideshow/fullscreen
(Properties->Fullscreen)
- New options for fullscreen/slideshow: Set text position/alignment
- PlugIn for AFPL Ghostscript: PS, EPS, PDF formats (see
Properties->PlugIns)
- Support for CGM/SVG formats : CADImage.DLL (Shareware, see i_plugins.txt)
- Support for HDR format (Formats PlugIn, thanks Kevin)
- New option for DigiCam RAW formats: Load half size image
(Properties->PlugIns)
- New effects added: Sepia, Raindrops, Fragment etc.
(Thanks to GENiEBEN :)
- Option to set the start corner for crop and text-layout in batch mode
- New placeholders for Date/Time: %Y, %m, %d (see help file for examples)
- New placeholders: $M (multipage index), $d (directory name)
- Most of normal placeholders can be used for "/convert=" too
- Option to hide main window in Thumbnails mode (Properties->Misc 1)
- New lossless JPG dialog option: Set DPI value
- Set loading options for Ghostscript, MrSID, JPM: Properties->PlugIns
- New JPG save option: Reset EXIF orientation tag
- New advanced slideshow dialog option: Play in window mode
- Command line option for EXE Slideshow: /monitor=X (start on monitor X)
- Command line option: /dpi works now for /scan, /scanhidden and /batchscan
- New special INI options to hide caption/menu bar permanently (see FAQs)
- Support for 3GP format (Quicktime PlugIn)
- New hotkeys: Red eye, Fullscreen text, Direct print, Lossless JPG
(see help file)
- Many PlugIns are changed/updated, please install the newest versions
- Some minor bugs/features fixed/added (slideshow, print)

IrfanView 3.98
http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967

IrfanView Plugins 3.98
http://www.tucows.com/preview/415586

/CoMa

Captain Video

Michael Laplante

This program will surely be honoured with a top spot in the Freeware Hall of
Fame, if ever one is built. It's amazing how much effort the author puts
into this, and how versatile this program is.

Vic Dura

This program will surely be honoured with a top spot in the Freeware Hall of
Fame, if ever one is built. It's amazing how much effort the author puts
into this, and how versatile this program is.

Really.

Every once in a while a try out another freeware image manager but
after a couple of weeks I delete them and stick with IrfanView.
Programs like Picasa2 and XnView have slick interfaces, but
functionally they can't keep up with IrfanView.

Jim Scott

Really.

Every once in a while a try out another freeware image manager but
after a couple of weeks I delete them and stick with IrfanView.
Programs like Picasa2 and XnView have slick interfaces, but
functionally they can't keep up with IrfanView.

I do this too, but always end up uninstalling IrfanView in favour of XnView
and FastStone, because I cannot make my mind up between these two.

Sheldon

Maybe some of you folks can help with this:

Primary problem: in slideshow, Add All does not work

I'm on dialup (Win98SE) and yesterday got the new ver 3.98 and the
irfanview_plugins_398.exe
The latter is 5,153,792 bytes.

In slideshow, the "add all" button does not work. Except strangely, in
some directories, add all adds a few of the pictures.

I can select files, and add ; that works.

When I ran the
irfanview_plugins_398.exe , it quit with an error.

So I moved all the plug in files and directories to a temporary storage
folder, and just used the iv_mmedia.zip

Still cannot play some .avi files (made on my friend's camera).

Thanks much,

Azzman

Maybe some of you folks can help with this:

Primary problem: in slideshow, Add All does not work

I'm on dialup (Win98SE) and yesterday got the new ver 3.98 and the
irfanview_plugins_398.exe
The latter is 5,153,792 bytes.

In slideshow, the "add all" button does not work. Except strangely, in
some directories, add all adds a few of the pictures.

I can select files, and add ; that works.

When I ran the
irfanview_plugins_398.exe , it quit with an error.

So I moved all the plug in files and directories to a temporary storage
folder, and just used the iv_mmedia.zip

Still cannot play some .avi files (made on my friend's camera).

Thanks much,

You can email the author of Irfanview (email is somewhere on the
website), he's very responsive and helpful.

HTH

granpaw

Maybe some of you folks can help with this:

Primary problem: in slideshow, Add All does not work

I'm on dialup (Win98SE) and yesterday got the new ver 3.98 and the
irfanview_plugins_398.exe
The latter is 5,153,792 bytes.

In slideshow, the "add all" button does not work. Except strangely, in
some directories, add all adds a few of the pictures.

I can select files, and add ; that works.

When I ran the
irfanview_plugins_398.exe , it quit with an error.

So I moved all the plug in files and directories to a temporary storage
folder, and just used the iv_mmedia.zip

Still cannot play some .avi files (made on my friend's camera).

Thanks much,

hmmmm. exact same problem here, thougth it was just me. please post the
answer if you find it.

granpaw

Mike S.

Maybe some of you folks can help with this:

Primary problem: in slideshow, Add All does not work

I'm on dialup (Win98SE) and yesterday got the new ver 3.98 and the
irfanview_plugins_398.exe
The latter is 5,153,792 bytes.

In slideshow, the "add all" button does not work. Except strangely, in
some directories, add all adds a few of the pictures.

Verified here too. Also, the "include subdirectories" checkbox now has no
effect, although this might be a symptom of the same bug.

Sheldon

Verified here too. Also, the "include subdirectories" checkbox now has
no effect, although this might be a symptom of the same bug.

Thanks, granpaw and Mike S.

I was surprised and gratified to get a message from Irfan (pasted below)
But it didn't help.
Maybe after he hears that several people had the problem, he can fix it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:40:18 +0100
To: "Sheldon Isaac" <[email protected]>
From: Irfan Skiljan <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Problems with 3.98

Hi,

Add all: Which language is used in IrfanView?
Please use english.

Plugins: the file is not complete => you can't start it.
=> download again, try another server.

AVI: all AVI problems are video codec problems.
---

The current IrfanView version is 3.98

Greetings,
Gruesse,
Pozdrav,

Irfan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vic Dura

hmmmm. exact same problem here, thougth it was just me. please post the
answer if you find it.

Interesting. I'm using 3.97 with plugins, and haven't ever had a
problem with the AddAll.

Sheldon

Vic Dura said:
Interesting. I'm using 3.97 with plugins, and haven't ever had a
problem with the AddAll.

Yeah, I had thought of going back to 3.97, but I have stupidly lost all
my downloaded installation files.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Primary problem: in slideshow, Add All does not work

There has been a problem with <Add All> in previous versions of IView.
(Up to 3.97 if I'm not mistaken.) Regardless the selected file type -
an <Add All> was targeted on <Common Graphic Files>. Let's say you
selected *.crw (with *.crw Plugin installed) and hit the <Add All>
button. After that all *.jpg files (and similar 'Common Graphic Files')
of the source directory would have been added. (Instead of the *.crw
pictures.)

Seems, Irfan 'solved' the bug to the worse... As some of you appear
to have written to Irfan, already, I guess a fix is in the work by
now. :)
When I ran the irfanview_plugins_398.exe , it quit with an error.

Can not confirm this error. The plugins installed fine.

BeAr

Sheldon

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson said:
There has been a problem with <Add All> in previous versions of IView.
(Up to 3.97 if I'm not mistaken.) Regardless the selected file type -
an <Add All> was targeted on <Common Graphic Files>. Let's say you
selected *.crw (with *.crw Plugin installed) and hit the <Add All>
button. After that all *.jpg files (and similar 'Common Graphic Files')
of the source directory would have been added. (Instead of the *.crw
pictures.)

Oh, thanks for that info - I hadn't noticed it, since I'd not used any
things like .crw files - had just left the slideshow at the default, which
I guess is the said:
Can not confirm this error. The plugins installed fine.

Thanks, BeAr - maybe it was a defective download. Is there some way to
check on that? MD5 or some such?

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Thanks, BeAr - maybe it was a defective download. Is there some way to
check on that? MD5 or some such?

Sure.

MD5:a966c185de542800146553363390dfe7
SHA-1:9403e673093e8ce6dd45d217effab8d162951316
CRC32:9e2b6b4d

The file size is the same as the one you reported (5.153.792 bytes).
A nice freeware program supporting lots of Hash algorithms is HashCalc
by SlavaSoft:

www.slavasoft.com/hashcalc

BeAr