Windows XP UPdate/grade Windows XP SP3

Reaction score
I want to update xp2 to xp3 using this. WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe
Does i need to backup file such mp3 photo and document before installing that update?
I'm afraid my files will be lost.

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
I simply update using Windows Update and you won't lose any files.

Just did someone's PC last week as a matter of fact and it went smoothly.

Actually the one you refer to in your post is directed toward IT professionals faced with doing multiple PC's in a network environment and it actually states that people doing just one PC should use Windows Update.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i have slow internet conn, then i've never set automatic update on. i want one step update done. thank you psezi,, i would like to learn some too

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Your still going to have to download the update regardless if you use Windows Update of you download the standalone file....

Why not just use windows update, as it only downloads what you need where as the standalone file will probably be bigger as it will include each and every update that you may already have. Thus the Win Update will only download what you need. IIRC. :)

Reaction score
thank again for rep, now i've installed WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe and im not lost any file (my dwnlded file)i like manual update, cz i like to know what ive dwnloaded.

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
thank again for rep, now i've installed WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe and im not lost any file (my dwnlded file)i like manual update, cz i like to know what ive dwnloaded.

If that's your preference naturally it's up to you but just so you understand you can use Windows Update manually and choose the "Custom" button rather than "Automatic" and you can then check off just the items you want as they are listed individually.

Had you done it that way it would have been a smaller download. ;)

Ask a Question