Update Fix doesn't hold!

I'm sure by now that all of you would have noticed that
the update fix by Robin Walker isn't sticking for the
5733 to 5735 update. I tried the suggestion on three (3)
separate systems (XP PRO SP2, Tablet PC 2005 & Windows
Server 2003 SP1) They all keep repeating the update from
5733 to 5735!

Anyone else having the same problems? If not, it's back
to the drawing board!

Robin Walker [MVP]

I'm sure by now that all of you would have noticed that
the update fix by Robin Walker isn't sticking for the
5733 to 5735 update. I tried the suggestion on three (3)
separate systems (XP PRO SP2, Tablet PC 2005 & Windows
Server 2003 SP1) They all keep repeating the update from
5733 to 5735!

Folks: you *MUST* empty your Temporary Internet Files (and select "Delete
all offline content") before attempting an MSAS definitions update.

I have just tried the 5755 updates while packet sniffing the network. If
you have (as I did) an earlier set of definitions still in your Temporary
Internet Files, then MSAS does not even bother asking the server for the
latest definitions: it used the stale version in the MSIE cache.

Once I cleared the Temporary Internet Files (including offline content), the
update to 5755 did the
server request properly, and the update to 5755 succeeded, permanently.

See my post "Why definition updates fail: possible reason" in this group on
28 June 2005.

prophet665

I just posted a similar thread on the install newsgroup. I
thought it was because I lost power during the Setup
Assistant, but maybe not! I just posted it so I doubt
anyone has responded yet.

Christian

Robin Walker [MVP]

prophet665 said:
I just posted a similar thread on the install newsgroup. I
thought it was because I lost power during the Setup
Assistant, but maybe not!

This is nothing to do with having lost power.

If you are running a build version of MSAS Beta 1 earlier than 1.0.614, then
download the latest build of MSAS Beta 1 by following the links from
http://www.microsoft.com/spyware/ and installing it.

Then see the post "Definition update recycling - Permanent Fix" in the group
"microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements" and follow the steps
there to see if you need to update the file gcUnCompress.dll.

Then in control panel Internet Options, empty your Temporary Internet Files,
selecting "Delete all offline content" on the way.

Only then try to update the MSAS definitions.

If it still does not update correctly and permanently, then check the end of
the file errors.log in the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\ to
see if there any error messages dating from the time of the update.

I just uninstalled my msas and in doing so I noticed that
microsoft has a very poor uninstaller, leaving about 14
program files and about 96 registry files still remaining
on my computer. I ran windoctor and regseeker and
regcleaner, all found many extra files left behind. I
deleted everything I found. I rebooted and went to
microsoft and downloaded a new copy of msas. Installed it
and it did the same thing with the update, so I am stumped
and will wait for a patch to repair it. Unless you got any
other suggestions. Maybe the definitions themselves are
the problem.

I guess I spoke too fast! Emptying the cache doesn't stop
the loop either. I made sure the cache was empty by
deleting all the files, including the updated gc***
files..Still kept the 5733 to 5735 update loop!

Suggestions?

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
(e-mail address removed)

.

DKI

Even though i did empty the folder it took loads of attemps (with emptying
the folder on each attemped) to download and update now its done it, and now
it reports all is updated, bur MS certainly need to look at it.
[...]

To Robin
I did what you said (dumping the internet cashe
first ,including offline cashe) on my other two machines
and that worked perfectly. however I could not get it to
work on the first machine in which I tried the update
first. Thank God for Symantecs GoBack. I went back to a
time before I tried to update first. I then cleaned the
internet cashe first and the update took. Yea! Thanks a
lot, you are a very smart person.

Leo Feret

On XP Home SP2 with MAS at 614/5733 successfully per prior instructions
and autoupdate off, I cleared TIF, did successful File - Check for
Update to 5735, closed MAS window, cleared TIF again, opened MAS and
checked for update and MAS said simply "Most recent software installed"
which was true; i.e was at 5735 and still correctly at 5735.
Folks: you *MUST* empty your Temporary Internet Files (and select
"Delete all offline content") before attempting an MSAS definitions
update.
I have just tried the 5755 updates while packet sniffing the network.
If you have (as I did) an earlier set of definitions still in your
Temporary Internet Files, then MSAS does not even bother asking the
server for the latest definitions: it used the stale version in the
MSIE cache.
Once I cleared the Temporary Internet Files (including offline
content), the update to 5755 did the
server request properly, and the update to 5755 succeeded,
permanently.
See my post "Why definition updates fail: possible reason" in this
group on 28 June 2005.

Leo Feret - "I'm not always at the keyboard;
·|Ô¿Ô¬|· sometimes I use the trackball."
"A map does not represent all the territory."
- Alfred Korzybski, Science and Sanity,
International non-Aristotelian Library (1933)

I needed to stop all running processes of MSAS by using
Stop,Alt,Delete and stopping process gcasDtServ and
gCasServ it will pop backup again so you will have to do
it twice and then delete temps and offline cache. Then try
the update.

\old\ devildog

Auto update? I think not. Its bad when the update to fix the problems has
the same problem, as well as causing many more. After 7 months of testing
this beta it is gone now. I need my anti-virus as well as my firewall. Also
the shutting down of updates from Adaware. I am not sure but I think the
coding has gone downhill with each new build. And yes MSAS was the cause of
all the problems I was having yesterday, No problems today with MSAS gone.

"old" devildog
________________________________
:
: Anyone else having the same problems? If not, it's back
: to the drawing board!

Bill Sanderson

I'm having some trouble imagining a tie-in between Microsoft Antispyware,
and your difficulty with ad-aware definition updates. Be cautious--multiple
difficulties may well have been involved.

\old\ devildog

Multiple problems? Removing all traces of MSAS fixed all of my problems. Yes
I am the Admin. of this computer as there is only one account set up called
"Owner". This account is set up as the Admin account with full rights.

The problems with Ad-AwareSE not up-dating and the shutting down of my
firewall and anti-virus were fixed with the removal of MSAS. After over 30
years of repairing computers, my "logical" examination of the cause of the
"problems" was to find the offending software, remove it and see if the
problems were repaired. Remember I reinstalled 615 and the problems
returned. Only a fool or someone working for MS would think the problems
were caused by something other than MSAS. Logically the problems were caused
by this beta software, and I an not waiting for a month for another "fix" to
come out and attempt to repair the problems. So far every "fix" has
generated more problems. If beta testing was done right it would been in a
controlled situation with the testers having access to the code to help
debug, not rushing it out to a general public beta testing. I just think
that all the beta tester's are there to help MS fix this thing so they can
sell it bundled in the new up-coming OS (Vista? What were they thinking).
Yes it will be in the packaged in Vista and yes you will pay for it when you
buy Vista and yes they will make money from it. They still haven't fixed the
updating problem yet. No up-dates is, no protection for the new "crap-ware"
coming out all the time. And the work arounds are great for the ones with
knowledge to do them, but you have too many non-technical people trying to
use this software. MS pull the beta, fix it, then release a new beta to the
be tested by people with enough technical background to do a real test
before giving it to the general public.

This is not the 1st time MS has shut down my firewall and anti-virus. One of
the "Security Up Dates" did the same earlier this year. MS had to come out
with a fix then. SystemSuite 5 is a very well know and trusted set of
"tools" for a computer. Microsoft just refuses to believe that someone would
want to use anything that does not have their name branded all over it. MS
needs to stick to the business of creating a good OS (and just maybe they
will in a few more years), and leave the rest of it to the other companies
that really need to get a product right. Their bottom line is dependent on
great and dependable software. As I see it MS has semi-good and
semi-dependable software.

I paid for Ad-Aware SE so I expect to be able to use it, and the real time
protection it affords. Many times it has stopped "drive by downloads" of
"crap-ware" when my wife has been looking for something on the 'net. I also
use SpybotS&D for the same reason. And by also using WinPatrol and
Counterspy, I have managed to keep any "crap-ware" off of my computer now
for well over 2 years. I have not even had a virus of any kind for well over
4 years since I started using SystemSuite. All have been stopped before
executing. I am not "lucky", I have use my skills ( a BS in Computer Science
and a BS in Electronics Engineering ) to weed out the poorly written
software and use only what worked the best. I use the e-mail scan on my
anti-virus, I use real time protection on my anti-virus, as well as on the
Ad-Aware, WinPatrol, SpybotS&D and Counterspy. I have never had a problem
using the real time with any of these products. MS just needs to focus on
making a better OS and don't worry about any other types of software. I just
might check out MSAS when beta testing has finished and their 2nd or 3rd
revisions have been applied. But with the pending install (shipped on
Friday) of the new SystemSuite 6 with their new adware/spyware. I think I
will be well protected without using software that has compromised itself by
attempting to "get in bed" with Claria, one of the biggest producers of
"crap-ware" out there. It was great when the 'net was not the scum pond it
has turned out to be. Too many people wanting the quick buck I guess, and MS
is right up there with the rest of them.

: I'm having some trouble imagining a tie-in between Microsoft Antispyware,
: and your difficulty with ad-aware definition updates. Be
cautious--multiple
: difficulties may well have been involved.
:
: --
:
: ""old" devildog" <teyoungATmchsiDOTcom> wrote in message
: : > Auto update? I think not. Its bad when the update to fix the problems
has
: > the same problem, as well as causing many more. After 7 months of
testing
: > this beta it is gone now. I need my anti-virus as well as my firewall.
: > Also
: > the shutting down of updates from Adaware. I am not sure but I think the
: > coding has gone downhill with each new build. And yes MSAS was the cause
: > of
: > all the problems I was having yesterday, No problems today with MSAS
gone.
: >
: > "old" devildog
: > ________________________________
: > : > : I'm sure by now that all of you would have noticed that
: > : the update fix by Robin Walker isn't sticking for the
: > : 5733 to 5735 update. I tried the suggestion on three (3)
: > : separate systems (XP PRO SP2, Tablet PC 2005 & Windows
: > : Server 2003 SP1) They all keep repeating the update from
: > : 5733 to 5735!
: > :
: > : Anyone else having the same problems? If not, it's back
: > : to the drawing board!
: >
: >
:
:

Bill Sanderson

May I point out that your original post in this thead didn't mention
re-installing Microsoft Antispyware and having the problems resume?

Given your opinion of Microsoft, I'm somewhat surprised that you are even
looking at this beta product.

I can't explain what happened on your system--I agree with your logic, at
this point. A beta product may well have show-stopper issues on a given
system that are unique--I sure haven't heard these particular issues from
others here--and given the 20 million downloads, I'd expect to have heard
from somebody else using ad-aware, for example.

So--given your experience, I'd agree with your decision--get the beta out of
there.

I hope you'll consider testing again when beta2 is available.