updatable query/"translated" view of a table

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access Queries' started by Yannick Majoros, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    Hope this is the right newgroup...

    For some multilingual application, I have a table with all strings in
    different languages. Each entry has a reference, a language and a text
    value, e.g.:

    Ref Language Value
    greeting en Hello
    greeting fr Bonjour

    Now, I tried to build a form for easy translation between french and
    english (let's say it is a special case).

    So, I thought I'd base in on a query which would include a string in
    english, it's reference and it's value in french (if it exists). Here is
    what I would want:

    Ref English_text French_text
    greeting Hello Bonjour

    Writing this query wasn't a problem, but... It isn't updatable :-( .

    It seems queries based on 1 single table aren't. I tried with different
    joint types, with implicit queries (you know, SELECT * FROM Strings AS
    Strings_fr, Strings AS Strings_en), subqueries, ... The best I was able
    to do was to use a "calculated" field for the french text, which used
    some db to do another select... It works almost, except I can't update
    the french text, naturally.

    I need this updatable query to base my form on it. Or is there another
    way?

    I don't think it would be a good idea to change my table structure to
    have both "English_text" and "French_text", because I could want to add
    languages later. And I have a similar problem with, say, my user
    preferences which are stored in a similar page, but which I would want
    to be updatable by a form...

    Any ideas, anyone?

    Best regards,

    Yannick Majoros

    Yannick Majoros, Nov 2, 2006

  2. Yannick Majoros

    David F Cox Guest

    This may be leading you astray, but my first thoughts are to have a table:-

    Tbltrans:
    id autonumber
    ref text 'the English word
    lang text 'e.g. French or an abbreviation
    translation text

    For each new reference word and each language I would append a record.

    It should then be easy to generate an updateable query for each language
    where the translation was null.

    apologies if this is a time-waster.

    David F Cox, Nov 2, 2006

  3. David F Cox a écrit :
    > This may be leading you astray, but my first thoughts are to have a table:-
    >
    > Tbltrans:
    > id autonumber
    > ref text 'the English word
    > lang text 'e.g. French or an abbreviation
    > translation text
    >
    > For each new reference word and each language I would append a record.
    >
    > It should then be easy to generate an updateable query for each language
    > where the translation was null.
    >
    > apologies if this is a time-waster.
    >

    > "Yannick Majoros" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Hope this is the right newgroup...
    >>
    >> For some multilingual application, I have a table with all strings in
    >> different languages. Each entry has a reference, a language and a text
    >> value, e.g.:
    >>
    >> Ref Language Value
    >> greeting en Hello
    >> greeting fr Bonjour
    >>
    >> Now, I tried to build a form for easy translation between french and
    >> english (let's say it is a special case).
    >>
    >> So, I thought I'd base in on a query which would include a string in
    >> english, it's reference and it's value in french (if it exists). Here is
    >> what I would want:
    >>
    >> Ref English_text French_text
    >> greeting Hello Bonjour
    >>
    >> Writing this query wasn't a problem, but... It isn't updatable :-( .
    >>
    >> It seems queries based on 1 single table aren't. I tried with different
    >> joint types, with implicit queries (you know, SELECT * FROM Strings AS
    >> Strings_fr, Strings AS Strings_en), subqueries, ... The best I was able to
    >> do was to use a "calculated" field for the french text, which used some db
    >> to do another select... It works almost, except I can't update the french
    >> text, naturally.
    >>
    >> I need this updatable query to base my form on it. Or is there another
    >> way?
    >>
    >> I don't think it would be a good idea to change my table structure to
    >> have both "English_text" and "French_text", because I could want to add
    >> languages later. And I have a similar problem with, say, my user
    >> preferences which are stored in a similar page, but which I would want to
    >> be updatable by a form...

    Ok, this is about the table I have. But I would like to display the
    english text next to the french text in a continuous form. I can't do
    that if I just do a query which takes every string from one language.

    So, my question is: how can I write a query which gives the strings in
    both languages and which is updatable ?

    Best regards,

    Yannick Majoros

    Yannick Majoros, Nov 2, 2006
  4. Yannick Majoros

    Guest Guest

    I think the solution is in the form design. You could have a continuous
    form based on the table and an unbound combo in the header showing the ref
    and filtering on it afterupdate. Default for the bound ref would be the
    value of the unbound combo. You can approximate a horizontal layout by
    putting the combo on a single form and the text in continuous subform,
    mastered to the unbound combo.

    Guest, Nov 3, 2006