Unwanted copying of files when selecting them

John Smith

Quite often when I want to Ctrl+select a bunch of files to move or zip or
delete, Windows will start making copies of them which is very annoying.

It never happened in 2000 or NT and I'm obviously doing something to trigger
it, but I can't figure out what it is. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it
doesn't.

How can I turn this feature off? If I wanted to copy the files, I'd be happy
to right-click and choose Copy after I've selected them.

Shenan Stanley

John said:
Quite often when I want to Ctrl+select a bunch of files to move or
zip or delete, Windows will start making copies of them which is very
annoying.
It never happened in 2000 or NT and I'm obviously doing something to
trigger it, but I can't figure out what it is. Sometimes it happens
and sometimes it doesn't.

How can I turn this feature off? If I wanted to copy the files, I'd
be happy to right-click and choose Copy after I've selected them.

You are dragging and dropping them a slight amount.
At least that is what it sounds like - particularly if this explains your
scenario..

Selecting files - either using the SHIFT or CTRL key and the mouse. All of
a sudden it starts copying and i end up with "Copy of.." files for all the
ones I had highlighted.

Yep..
Dragged and dropped.

Let go of the SHIFT or CTRL keys after each selection. Don't just "hold it
down". What you will probably start noticing then is that your selections
suddenly "go away" and you have to reselect. That is the same thing that
was happening before with the drag and drop copying - but because you had
released the key holding them all together, when you did the drag/drop
thing - it just clicked elsewhere instead of dropping.

Hold down key, slect, let off key. Hold down key, select next file, let off
key.

John Smith

Thanks -- I'll try letting up on Ctrl. It's annoying though -- older Windows
didn't do it & it's not so efficient as keeping Ctrl pressed down.

David Candy

Older windows are exactly the same, why do you keep saying this.

Read David defending the concept of violence.
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/10/entering_the_ga.html#more
John Smith said:
Thanks -- I'll try letting up on Ctrl. It's annoying though -- older Windows
didn't do it & it's not so efficient as keeping Ctrl pressed down.

John Smith

Ok, all Windows versions are exactly the same. I'm getting old and shaky, I
guess. I certainly did not experience unwanted file copies by Ctrl+clicking
in Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT4 or Windows 2000. But you're right, it
must be me.

John Smith said:
Thanks -- I'll try letting up on Ctrl. It's annoying though -- older
Windows
didn't do it & it's not so efficient as keeping Ctrl pressed down.

David Candy

Use Control + Space or.
DragWidth (and height)
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop

Data type Range Default value
REG_SZ Number of pixels in decimal 4

Description
Determines the width of the rectangle used to detect the start of a drag operation.

John Smith said:
Thanks -- I'll try letting up on Ctrl. It's annoying though -- older
Windows
didn't do it & it's not so efficient as keeping Ctrl pressed down.

Ron Sommer

I will let you determine if you are getting old and shaky.
The computer mouse has gotten lighter, cordless, optical, and maybe more
sensitive.
It is easier to move a new mouse.
--
Ron Sommer