UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by BORAZO, Jul 17, 2004.

  1. BORAZO

    BORAZO Guest

    I have a boot problem with a Win XP Home edition machine.
    It has worked ok since purchase. Then one morning when
    booted for work, XP did not open. Instead what appeared on
    screen was a blue background with the following error
    message:

    "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut
    down to prevent damage to your computer.
    UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.
    If the problem continues, diable ao remove any newly
    installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory
    options such as caching or shadowing.
    Technical information:
    STOP: 0x0000000ED
    (0x82B6EBB8,0xC0000015,0x00000000,0x00000000)"

    There is no newly installed hardware or software on the
    machine, so I can't figure out what has gone wrong. I
    would be most grateful if you could help me out here.
    Thanks in advance.

    BORAZO, Jul 17, 2004

  2. Hi,

    If you've made no hardware changes, nor any configuration changes, then it
    is likely a corrupt file system. This may or may not be recoverable. Boot
    the WinXP CD and load the Recovery Console. From the command prompt, run
    "chkdsk C: /r" and see if it helps.

    HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

    If you don't have a regular CD, you will need to try and create the boot
    disk set and use it to load the limited version of the Recovery Console:

    Home edition:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33290

    Professional edition:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33291

    They should be sufficient to run the disk checker. If prompted for the
    location of autochk (a file required by the disk checker), indicate the path
    as C:\Windows\system32. If the system cannot access it, then you likely are
    going to be out of luck. In this case, restart to the CD and start the
    installation process, after accepting the license by hitting F8, it should
    detect the existing installation and offer to repair it. If it states that
    the installation partition is unreadable or unusable, that's a bad thing.
    Basically, everything currently on the system will be lost, and you will
    need to do a clean installation by deleting the partition and creating a new
    one, then formatting and reinstalling (hope you have your Product Key handy,
    as you will not be able to retrieve it from the system).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers, Jul 17, 2004

  3. BORAZO

    JRT Guest

    > HAVE SAME PROBLEM,TRIED TO GO TO SEVERAL SAFE MODE
    OPTIONS, WON'T GOES BACK TO BLUE SCREEN. NEED HELP

    jrt

    JRT, Jul 17, 2004