Unmountable boot volume 0x000000ED, I have tried EVERYTHING I have read

G

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200, XP home edition. I can no longer startup windows, I get this error Unmountable boot volume, STOP: 0x000000ED, 0x00000054. I can run the recovery console, however, chkdsk doesnt work, fixboot doesnt work, I cant even see any files on my HD. Even when I enter "dir" it tells me that "an error occured during enumeration". If I turn the computer on it says "Primary Hard disk Drive not found" and "fixed optical drive not found" I then restart the computer and I can get to the startup selection. I have tried all of them, in safe mode it seems to load most drivers except agp440 (a video driver), it stalls after that one then goes to the error screen. Does this mean that my hard drive is toast? Can I save any of the files on there? DO I bring it to a shop? Any help would be appreciated, I have read all the stuff on microsoft.com in the knowledge base etc... Part of the problem could also be that I may have run out of memory installing one of the windows upates. I dont know.

Thanks!

R

Rich Barry

Rob, check here.
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/winxp/howto3/unmountable.htm
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/86651.html

Rob said:
I have a Dell Inspiron 8200, XP home edition. I can no longer startup
windows, I get this error Unmountable boot volume, STOP: 0x000000ED,
0x00000054. I can run the recovery console, however, chkdsk doesnt work,
fixboot doesnt work, I cant even see any files on my HD. Even when I enter
"dir" it tells me that "an error occured during enumeration". If I turn the
computer on it says "Primary Hard disk Drive not found" and "fixed optical
drive not found" I then restart the computer and I can get to the startup
selection. I have tried all of them, in safe mode it seems to load most
drivers except agp440 (a video driver), it stalls after that one then goes
to the error screen. Does this mean that my hard drive is toast? Can I save
any of the files on there? DO I bring it to a shop? Any help would be
appreciated, I have read all the stuff on microsoft.com in the knowledge
base etc... Part of the problem could also be that I may have run out of
memory installing one of the windows upates. I dont know.

Reaction score
A solution that worked for my Dell Inspiron 6400 XP professional SP 3.

As I do not have (like most of us) the XP installation disk (it was preinstalled on my laptop), I discovered (by pure inspiration !!!) that when pressing the Dell Media Direct button (instead of pressing the "power" button !!) I could boot and actually see all the folders of my laptop (those containing media files (photos, videos) I could even play them). After browsing the folders containing media files (photos, movies) I clicked "exit" and my laptop powered off. After that I pressed the "power" button and my laptop booted normally. I am not sure but it may be that the BSOD Unmountable Boot Volume error appeared after I installed the Slim Cleaner applcation. After I was able to boot again into my laptop I uninstalled Slim Cleaner and run the “chkdsk /r” . I do not know the explanation for this workaround (I am not an IT guru) but I just wanted to share with those using Dell Inspiron 6400 with Dell Media Direct !!!) this possible solution that worked for me. Maybe I am wrong but it could be that this solution worked due to the fact that Dell Media Direct is located on a separate partition (I have three partitions on my Dell Inspiron 6400) allowing thus the booting. One question : should I run the recovery console “chkdsk /p “ and “fixboot c:” commands to test the boot sector or not ? Waiting for feedback from IT experts.
Thanks.

Ask a Question