unlisting item in right click list in Win Explorer

windsurferLA

I installed the really neat "print directory" feature described in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321379

It works just fine, but it interfers with the use of short cuts, and I'm
unsure of how to implement the work around given by Microsoft.

I need help removing it. The installed procedure provides for modifying
the menu that comes up when you right click on a directory icon.

The procedure called for:
opening the Folder Options tool in Control Panel
selecting the File Types Tab
In File Types column, to select item labeled "File Folder"
The to click on Advance Button, click on New, and
specify a name for the action associated with the new batch file.

I was able to add the link as suggested. MY QUESTION, HOW DO I DELETE
THE NAME FROM THE LIST NOW THAT THE BATCH FILE NO LONGER EXISTS?

After initially posting this note, I thought I had discovered a way to
solve my problem. I deleted the .bat file from the windows directory,
and then ran Norton System works. It got rid of the first link, but
when I tried it again, I encountered problems. I have deleted from the
Windows directory the .bat file that contained the instructions for
saving the contents of the directory to a file on the C:\ drive, but the
application still works. Obviously, I must have somehow place two
copies of the file in the Windows directory, and I've moved out the
wrong one (actually moved to a floppy that has been removed from
computer).

I also tried to use System Restore to take the registry back to its
state prior to the installation of this file list feature, but Restore
says no changes were made. I've also restarted my machine several times.

HOW DOES ONE TELL WHICH FILE IS ACTIVATED WHEN ONE CLICKS ON A ITEM
BROUGHT UP BY RIGHT CLICKING ON A DIRECTORY? HOW DOES ONE GET RID OF IT?

David Candy

Just type in Start Run

regsvr32 /i shell32

you can keep it now and it won't cause problems. But as it is a super pathetic way of doing things...

Paste below lines (or use attached file) in to a text doc called something.vbs. Then drag and drop a folder on it for a tab delimited list. Use Excel to view.

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set Ag=Wscript.Arguments
set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\" & Wscript.ScriptName & "\", Chr(34) & Wscript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34)
WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\" & Left(Wscript.ScriptName, Len(Wscript.ScriptName)-3) & "exe" & "\", Chr(34) & Wscript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34)

Set Fldr=objShell.NameSpace(Ag(0))

Set FldrItems=Fldr.Items

Set DeskFldr=objShell.Namespace(16)
FName=fso.buildpath(DeskFldr.self.path, "Folder Property List.txt")

Set ts = fso.OpenTextFile(FName, 8, vbtrue)

For x = 0 to 50
t1 = t1 & Fldr.GetDetailsOf(vbnull, x) & " (Shell)" & vbtab
Next
ts.write FLDR.self.path &vbcrlf
ts.Write T1 & vbcrlf
T1=""

For Each FldrItem in FldrItems
For x = 0 to 50
t1 = t1 & Fldr.GetDetailsOf(FldrItem, x) & vbtab
Next
t1=t1 & vbcrlf
ts.Write T1
T1=""
Next

'msgbox FName & "has a tab delimited list of all properties"

David Candy

Read David defending the concept of violence.
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/10/entering_the_ga.html#more