Universal Extractor - Installer EXE Unpacker

Mario Alvares

Universal Extractor
http://www.legroom.net/modules.php?
op=modload&name=Open_Source&file=index&page=software&app=uniextract

Useful aplication to unpack various types of installer EXEs - Inno Setup,
Windows MSI, InstallShield, Wise Installer etc.

In additional to installers, it can also extract files from many other file
formats, like .CHM Help Files, most compressed file archives, and more.

jb

Mario Alvares said:
Sorry, that long link might wrap in your newsreader, making it unclickable.
Here's a shorter link : http://tinyurl.com/qzm5p

That's a great concept. It had no trouble at all dissecting my Inno
Setup exe's, scripts included.

A useful trick for unzipping things generally: type . into the
destination folder.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Universal Extractor
A nice project. But I somehow doubt, Jared has the right to include
all the extractor programs. He would be better off to only post the
necessary download links, IMHO. Although the bundle would loose a
lot this way...

BeAr

Mike Dee

Sorry, that long link might wrap in your newsreader, making it
unclickable. Here's a shorter link : http://tinyurl.com/qzm5p

Thanks a bunch for that link, it looks like a helpful program.

Got a couple of Xnews tips for you (I noticed you were using Xnews to
post)

For long URLs, the workaround is to click the "Rewrap" button in the
editor, then uncheck "Word Wrap" under "Message" menu, then paste in
your long URL, like so:

<http://www.legroom.net/modules.php?...ource&file=index&page=software&app=uniextract>

Easy :)

For badly wrapped URLs in incoming messages; In Xnews, select the
line(s) making up the URL, right click it and choose "Edit Url". In
the dialog that pops up, click OK and it launches the URL correctly.

So your first post wasn't a problem (with this Xnews user) :)

Mario Alvares

That's a great concept. It had no trouble at all dissecting my Inno
Setup exe's, scripts included.

Yes, it works well for Inno Setup EXEs. Some Inno installers have a
password set, though, and it is not able to extract files from these
passworded installers (Unless you know the password, of course !)

Also, unfortunately, it cannot unpack NSIS installers, which are very
popular these days. This is not a fault of this program per se, since it
depends on other command-line tools to do the job, and no NSIS unpacker
(command-line or otherwise) is available yet.

jb

Mario said:
Yes, it works well for Inno Setup EXEs. Some Inno installers have a
password set, though, and it is not able to extract files from these
passworded installers (Unless you know the password, of course !)

Also, unfortunately, it cannot unpack NSIS installers, which are very
popular these days. This is not a fault of this program per se, since it
depends on other command-line tools to do the job, and no NSIS unpacker
(command-line or otherwise) is available yet.

Upon reflection, all my scripts are solid, or at least have no glaring
errors as far as I know. It's quite an eye opener that the crowd can
see your scripts now.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Not entirely true. The InstallExplorer Far plugin supports NullSoft
(NSIS) sfx-archives. It can also be used within TotalCommander.

Although the plugin itself is free, its use may seem OT here, because
Far and TC are not. But that, again, isn't entirely correct. Far is
free for all citizens and organizations from the former USSR.
("Localware")

BeAr

jb

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson said:
Not entirely true. The InstallExplorer Far plugin supports NullSoft
(NSIS) sfx-archives. It can also be used within TotalCommander.

Although the plugin itself is free, its use may seem OT here, because
Far and TC are not. But that, again, isn't entirely correct. Far is
free for all citizens and organizations from the former USSR.
("Localware")

BeAr

NullSoft? It's hard work compared to Inno.

Susan Bugher

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson said:
Although the plugin itself is free, its use may seem OT here, because
Far and TC are not. But that, again, isn't entirely correct. Far is
free for all citizens and organizations from the former USSR.
("Localware")

I believe you spelled that wrong. . . it's LocoWare. ;)

The ACF glossary definition:

LocoWare: We couldn't figure out what to call it (maybe you'll have
better luck).

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

deadman

Do you have any hints on requirements to run/install InstallExplorer.

I spent the better part of my free time for a couple of weeks trying to
get InstallExplorer to run on my system (win98, IE4.01sp1).

I downloaded several versions (although there was one version mentioned
in the forum at totalcmd.net, that I was not able to find).

They all failed to run/work in both TC and FAR. I eventually gave up
trying to make it work.

Can you help? (supply requirements / info/ links)?
I have found utils to unpack most installers, but NSIS still eludes me!

Thanks,
Roger G.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Do you have any hints on requirements to run/install InstallExplorer.

You can use the current version. Its the IETotal which usually makes
troubles. (You need it to link InstallExplorer to TC.)
I downloaded several versions (although there was one version mentioned
in the forum at totalcmd.net, that I was not able to find).

This version of IETotal should do:
http://rapidshare.de/files/13981457/IETotal-2004-05-26.zip.html

Be sure to link IETotal to a dummy file extension and *not* to *.exe.
Else you'll break the detection chain for Multiarc and other plugins.
The extension DummyExt would be just fine and shouldn't appear anywhere.
;-) You still can enter any valid archive recognized by InstallExplorer
using Ctrl+PgDown.

HTH.
BeAr