Unistall Win Media Player 9 to WMP7.1 ??

Andy100

I am having a lot of problems with Windows Media Player 9 and Napster at the
moment. I have narrowed it down to the Windows Media Player (9.00.00.2980).
I installed the beta version 10 and still have the same problems. When i try
to play a song in Napster the system crashes and restarts.

I have Windows Media Player v7.1 ready to install, but WinXP won't let me as
it says i already have the latest version.

So, my question is, how can i force XP to install my WMP7.1 over WMP9.0. Can
i uninstall WMP9 or overwrite it. Or is there any other fix for this ??

Cheers
Andy

Alceryes

Here's a secret...
Windows XP keeps around WMP 6.4. So if that one's good enough go to start --
run -- type 'mplayer2'.

Andy100

Thanks for the tip, but that's ok for opening MediaPlayer 2, however Napster
still forces use of WMP9, so i really need to get rid of WMP9 and force
Napster to use something else.

Cheers for the info though

Andy

Feng Mao

Hi Andy,

Thank you for posting!

The offical method to remove Windows Media Player 9 is to use System
Restore which is mentioned in Windows Media web site.

The below is the method to manually remove Windows Media Player 9.

To uninstall WMP9, please perform the steps below:

1. Click Start->Run.
2. Copy the following command and paste it into the open box:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection Uninstall 132
c:\windows\inf\wmp.inf

Note, the above command is Caption sensitive.

3. Click OK to uninstall WMP9

However, even you remove Windows Media Player 9, you may still not be able
to install Windows Media Player 7.1. This is because the Windows XP
built-in Windows Media Player is version 8.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support