Uninstalling Programs That Don't Show in Add/Remove

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Lonnie-in-Carlsbad, May 26, 2008.

  1. I have a number of applications that are no longer used but who have various
    "helper" programs still running in background. They don't show in the
    Add/Remove software list that you access from Control panel. In one case,
    the application never was listed, so I need to uninstall the whole thing
    manually. I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2.

    Here are some examples. These are not all of the list, but they will
    illustrate the extent and variety of the problem. I have full administrative
    assess to my system, but I don't know where these "background" helper
    programs get run from. If I had knowledge of where the various places where
    they get run at startup located I could remove them manually. Naturally, I
    like to be able to identify all the actual Microsoft programs too, so I would
    leave them in. Some are obvious (winlogin.exe), but I'd like a list because
    some are not so obvious.

    Here are some of the apps I'm writing about:

    1) Skype
    This never has had and entry in the Add/Remove list but does start up
    everytime I login to Windows. I'd really want to remove it.

    2) realsched.exe
    This is an artifact of the RealPlayer viewer that I never use any more. It
    does not show in my Add/Remove list any longer.

    3) iPodService.exe
    I don't use the iPod service any more. But, this little program still
    starts up and runs in background.

    4) ctfmon.exe
    I don't even know how this got there or what it does. It may be from an old
    application I once ran. I'd like to be able to figure that out.

    I would say I have 8-10 such programs running in background and taking up
    resources. I'd really like to know how to clean these things up and get my
    resources back.

    Thanks,

    Lonnie

    Lonnie-in-Carlsbad, May 26, 2008

  2. Lonnie-in-Carlsbad

    R. McCarty Guest

    SysInternals ( Microsoft ) tool AutoRuns:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
    *Ctfmon.Exe is a component of Microsoft Office.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

    "Lonnie-in-Carlsbad" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    R. McCarty, May 26, 2008

  3. Lonnie-in-Carlsbad

    DL Guest

    google for the 'names'
    Most of them can be disabled in msconfig

    "Lonnie-in-Carlsbad" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    DL, May 26, 2008
  4. Lonnie-in-Carlsbad

    Unknown Guest

    To delete them, you can do a registry search and delete them there. Then can
    be started via the registry by:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\run-- and the
    following lines run once etc
    "Lonnie-in-Carlsbad" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Unknown, May 26, 2008
  5. Lonnie-in-Carlsbad

    HeyBub Guest

    Lonnie-in-Carlsbad wrote:
    > I have a number of applications that are no longer used but who have
    > various "helper" programs still running in background. They don't
    > show in the Add/Remove software list that you access from Control
    > panel. In one case, the application never was listed, so I need to
    > uninstall the whole thing manually. I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2.

    To accomplish exactly what you want, go for Run/MSCONFIG

    Go to the start-up tab and uncheck the culprits.

    This does not remove the programs from your system; it just prevents them
    from starting.

    To go for the next step, removing them from your system, you'll have to
    manually delete the programs and folders from your drive plus scour the
    registry for mentions of the offenders.

    There's probably a bit of software to accomplish the latter project more
    diligently than manually fussing around.

    HeyBub, May 26, 2008
  6. Lonnie-in-Carlsbad

    Kelly Guest

    Hi,

    #4 is a part of Office, it is harmless. To remove see line 385:

    Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "Lonnie-in-Carlsbad" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Kelly, May 26, 2008
  7. Thanks to all who replied. This is a lot of good information and I should
    be able to get the job done.

    Lonnie

    Lonnie-in-Carlsbad, May 26, 2008