Unexplained Delay Launching Applications

JCW

SC Tom -- Well, the weird slow-down problem is back after only a week or two.
I use Internet Lock a lot on ZASS, and one of it's manififestations is that
right clicking on the ZASS icon in the tray takes a long time to produce a
response (although many other programs -- even Command Prompt -- behave the
same way, as I said originally.) Did I get the impression that you have to
repeat this clean uninstall/re-install frequently to keep your problem at
bay? Or was it a one-time fix for you? Any other thoughts much appreciated!

Meanwhile, I guess I'm going to back up my machine and then do a massive
uninstall of all the Lenovo crap to see if that helps any. Know any Lenovo
experts? -- JCW

JCW

Goku -- Well, I though I had my weird slow-down problem solved by a clean
uninstall/re-install of ZASS (suggested by SC Tom this thread), but it's back
after only a week or two. Did you find anything relevant in your registry
searching? (As I said earlier, there's no "sleep.exe" on the system.) Any
other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Meanwhile, I guess I'm going to back up my machine and then do a massive
uninstall of all the Lenovo crap to see if that helps any. They muck around
a lot with the power manager (among many other things -- there are lots of
startups, as you saw from my earlier list). Know any Lenovo experts? -- JCW

SC Tom

I don't use Internet Lock, so I haven't had a problem with it. I did the
clean install the one time and fortunately for me, that was all it took. I
haven't had a problem with slow-downs since that time.
I uninstalled most of the Gateway crap that was on my notebook. Freed up a
lot of HDD space LOL.

SC Tom

JCW

I don't use Internet Lock, so I haven't had a problem with it.<<

Thanks. Perhaps that's the best course, but I'm always trying to limit
access to my machine as much as possible. In the past I've gotten around the
problems that "Internet Lock" can cause by granting "Pass Lock" privilages to
"Services And Controller app" (seems to prevent dropping my Internet
connection when a new DHCP lease is required during "Internet Lock") and
"Spooler Subsystem app" (so I can print to my TCP/IP printer through
"Internet Lock"). But now I have a new version of Windows (upgrade to XP
from 2000) and a new version of ZASS (upgrade from 7.0 to 8.0), so all bets
are off, I guess.

Any further thoughts on ZASS problems that you might have are most welcome,
but this is getting a bit off topic. I've always tweeked ZASS settings in an
effort to tighten security (light increasing "Trusted Zone Security" to High
and using NetBEUI for local shares), but perhaps it's safer to just use the
defaults. Do you have a favorite ZASS-under-XP forum that you could
recommend for these sorts of problems? -- JCW

SC Tom

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs is the only ZA forum I've used. Most of
time I can find an answer there, or at least a place to start. I've been
using ZA longer than I've had XP, and really haven't had all that many
problems with it. Most seemed to have occurred with the first release of
8.0, and then again with a conflict between the 2nd or 3rd release with a
particular MS security patch (KB9517480). Since that time, I've done clean
installs instead of upgrades and have had no problems.

JCW

SC Tom -- I think I found a more fundamental solution, in case you're still
out there: At least as far as ZoneAlarm Security Suite is concerned, it
seems to be "Generic Host Processes for Win32 Services"
(C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe) that must have "Pass Lock" privilages -- no
longer "Services and Controller app" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe) as in
W2K. Granting these privilages to svchost.exe seems to eliminate the
occasional launch delays on my XP machines (both SP2 and SP3). I had
suspected some kind of XP peculiarity or software incompatibility, but it now
appears that they were just waiting for svchost.exe tried to get in touch
with my router, for whatever reason.

A major side benefit (at least for me) is that this procedure allows both
machines to renew their local DHCP leases from my cable/DSL router during
"Internet Lock." Nor is "Internet Server" access required by this program;
"Trusted Server" access is sufficient! -- JCW

SC Tom said:
A complete uninstall before the clean install should be performed. You can
do it from Add/remove in Control Panel (you'll have to be logged in as admin
to do it). If, by chance, that doesn't work, here

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=Antivirus&message.id=32930are some very detailed instructions for a complete removal. I have never hadto go this far, though. After the uninstall, reboot and do a clean install.SC Tom"JCW" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...> Dear SC Tom -->>>>If you log in as an> admin, does the same delay occur?<<>> Good idea; I haven't tried that yet. I could temporarily give my limited> user administrator privilages without changing anything else...>>>>When you uninstalled ZA, were you logged> in as admin?<<>> Wellll... I didn't actually uninstall (which as I recall from my W2K days> is a very involved process to do completely with any of the securitysuites).> What I did was a "clean" re-install over top of the existing one fromwithin> the Administrator account. Did you mean I should get the detailed> clean-uninstall instructions from ZoneAlarm and execute them
before the> "clean" install? -- JCW>>> "SC Tom" wrote:>>> Sorry that didn't work for you.>> I saw in another post that you log in as a limited user. If you log in asan>> admin, does the same delay occur? When you uninstalled ZA, were youlogged>> in as admin?>>>> SC Tom>

SC Tom

My Generic Host Processes for Win32 Services is set for allow in Trusted
Server, and block in Internet Server under Program Controls, Programs in
ZASS. I had to set it that way in order to access my Netgear wired/wireless
switch to set it up, and access it now for updates and configuration. But
not using Internet Lock myself, I didn't associate that with the problem you
were having.

I'm glad it's all working for you now, though. Whew!!

SC Tom