Windows XP Undefragmentable section of hard disk or file?

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
This is starting to worry me more and more.
When I defrag, it takes about 20 secs to do the 40GB Maxtor. But there is a red bar in the colour image which never seems to go away, it's always in the same place.

f_Undrfragmenm_f7fb134.png

And every time I analyse that 40GB Maxtor, it always says I should defrag.
How can I defrag this? And stop Windows telling me I should defrag that hard disk?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Stop being worried - the red bar indicates files that can't be defragged due to them being certain OS system files...this is perfectly normal.

The reason why Windows keeps saying the HD needs defragging is because these system files are over a certain percentage of the overall disk use, probably because the HD contains OS files only - the fact that it only takes 20 seconds to defrag indicates there isn't that much on the HD other than that.

Theres nothing you can do about this other than add more files to the HD to make the percentage of un-defraggable files less than that which Windows warns for defragging.

Don't worry about it - go have a cool drink and chill :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Excellent - your Laptop has done well!!

Seriously, its nothing to worry about, but if you really are that concerned try using a third party defrag utility such as Diskeeper or O&O....the built in XP one is not that great anyway.

Ask a Question