unattend setup

Rostislav V. Nedosekin

Hello!
I'm trying to do unattend setup of winXPsp1 Professional from network share
from the DOS.
The hard disk was previously formatted and the answer file was copied into
c:\temp folder.
The source location is:
\\server\testlab\winXP\i386
the command is:
winnt.exe /s:\\server\testlab\winXP\i386 /u:c:\temp\unattend.txt
The command is recognized and the setup procces beginning, but it hangs on
the screen:
"Wait while copying files on your hard drive."
Then I tried to reboot with system disk. And run the scandisk c: - it found
the error: missing chains. I checked - there was no any errors before I run
setup.
What can happen?

James Williams

In my experience, installing out of DOS takes a *long* time. I've been
working with Server 2003 for the last week or so. It sits there for
almost 3 hours before it actually does anything. After that, it works
fine (for me anyway).

Just let it run overnight and see what happens.

(j)
James

Rostislav V. Nedosekin

Is it a problem of winxpsp1? Cause I tried to do that a half a year ago with
winxp without sp1 and it worked fine.
I use dos boot, cause I'm going to use PXE boot enviroment..

James Williams

Good point. No, I do not have smartdrv running. I haven't found a copy
yet (haven't spent a ton of time trying). I have one laying here
somewhere, I'm sure. It isn't a problem for me though. I just do
whatever tweaks I need and start the install when I come in and again
when I come back from lunch. No biggie for me. 8)

(j)
James

Oli Restorick

:)

That'll be why it's slow.

I remember installing Windows 2000 on a laptop with no CD-ROM drive using
the command line. I didn't think not having Smartdrv would make much
difference, but I was there for an entire evening just getting the base
operating system on.

Cheers

Oli

Rostislav V. Nedosekin

I tried to run installation for a night and it completed only in
morning....
And - the smartdrv was running.

What mode must smartdrv run? I run it with /v key, and it said that only
read cache is enabled. Is it nessesary to swith on write cache?

Conrad Lawes

Rostislav, try placing the unattend.txt on the server not the local drive and see what happens. Also, why are you using UNC path? Why not just map a drive letter?

net use x: \\server\testlab
x:\winxp\i386\winnt.exe /s:x:\winXP\i386 /u:x:\winXP\i386\unattend.txt

Conrad Lawes
http://www.argontechnology.com/cms

Scott McArthur [MSFT]

When doing a unattended setup using winnt.exe make sure you are loading
smartdrv.exe and also do not use any command line switches. Using any of
the switches can cause a delay at the point mentioned.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;296814

Scott McArthur[MS]
Microsoft Windows Server Setup Support