Unable to connect to WMI service

Bob Norris

Networking problem
I cannot get ICS to work, it used to but not now!!! when
I click on properties - advanced tab of my ISP i get teh
message"Windows cannot display the properties ofthis
connection. The Window management Instrumentation (WMI)
information might be corrupted. To correct this use
system restore to restore windows to an earlier time
(called restore point).

The trouble is I have no point to restore to. It was
disabled and i had no idea this functin existed!!.

when I run a network diagnostics scan every item shows up
as an error and the detail reads: Unable to connect to
WMI service "\\.\root\cimv2"

has anybody got a fix for this problem?

Wesley Vogel

Windows XP reports that Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) might be
corrupted?
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBK/tip5200/rh5281.htm

[[You may receive any of the following error messages in Windows XP:
Unable to view network properties. Windows cannot display the properties of
connection. Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) might be corrupted.
Unable to view System Information (MSinfo32).

If you run Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), wmimgmt.msc, you
receive: Failed to connect to local computer due to WMI:Generic failure.

These errors will occur if the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder
is damaged.

To fix this problem:
1. Use the Start menu to right-click My Computer.
2. Press the Manage item.
3. Double-click Services and Applications in the left-hand pane.
4. Press Services to expand it.
5. Scroll to Windows Management Instrumentation in the right-hand pane and
right-click it.
6. Press Stop.
7. Use Windows Explorer to delete all the files in the
%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder.
8. Shutdown and restart your computer. The Windows Management
Instrumentation service will start and the files will be re-created.]]
======================================

I had a problem with WMI, I also had a problem deleting
%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository. I had to run Error Checking
(Chkdsk). And then try to delete the file.
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem\Repository\FS.
------------------

Courtesy of Kelly T. @ http://www.kellys-korner.com/
[Windows Management Instrumentation - WinMgmt could not initialize the core
parts
Go to Start/Run/CMD and then run each of these hitting enter after each:

winmgmt /clearadap
winmgmt /kill
winmgmt /unregserver
winmgmt /regserver
winmgmt /resyncperf

This may or may not repair the repository but will re-install wmi into the
registry.]
=====================

From http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

WMI
[[WMIPRVSE hosts the provider that sends your events on WinXP. On WinXP
providers are out of process from the actual WMI service. You can specify
the wbemConnectFlagUseMaxWait which will cause the timeout to be 2 minutes
instead of the default DCOM one which is up to 20 minutes. What may help is
to ping the remote machine first before attempting a ConnectServer.

WMI relies on DCOM for remoting which in turn uses RPC which then uses
TCP/IP, so there could be several reasons why it isn't connecting initially.
This is a known issue. Basically, when the provider calls MSI, it doesn't
necessarily cancel the initial request and attempts to finish it so
wmiprvse.exe will still show cpu usage.

To correct permission issues:

1 - In the Management Console\Services STOP WMI and set to manual.
2 - Go to the WMI repository %Windows%system32%wbem and delete the
repository.
3 -Set the WMI service back to Automatic
4 - From %Windows%system32%wbem run "wbemtest" and connect to your
namespace.
5 - Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to: Locate current

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class. Open the class
key and right click on the sub key 0000 and select permissions and make sure
that the permissions for you [administrator] are "Full".]]
===========

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Bob said:
Networking problem
I cannot get ICS to work, it used to but not now!!! when
I click on properties - advanced tab of my ISP i get teh
message"Windows cannot display the properties ofthis
connection. The Window management Instrumentation (WMI)
information might be corrupted. To correct this use
system restore to restore windows to an earlier time
(called restore point).

The trouble is I have no point to restore to. It was
disabled and i had no idea this functin existed!!.

when I run a network diagnostics scan every item shows up
as an error and the detail reads: Unable to connect to
WMI service "\\.\root\cimv2"

has anybody got a fix for this problem?
Hi

Try (using e.g. Start/Run, or a command prompt):

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll

If that doesn't fix it, a lot of good information in this one about
repairing WMI:

From: Ivan Brugiolo [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Windows XP WMI Reinstall
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi
Date: 2004-04-21 00:46:56 PST
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

WinXP Pro only:
If nothing in the link above helped, you might want to follow
the procedure here and see if it helps:

How To Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222

Bob Norris

I tried running the command lines. All worked apart
from "regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll"

when I ran this the following mesage box
appeared: "LoadLibrary ("%eindir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll")
failed - The specified module could not be found.

The problem has not gone away.

any further ideas?

From: Ivan Brugiolo [MSFT] ([email protected])
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi
Date: 2004-04-21 00:46:56 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=eg4cXS3JEHA.2380% 40TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl

WinXP Pro only:
If nothing in the link above helped, you might want to follow
the procedure here and see if it helps:

How To Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.msp x
.

When I click on properties - advanced tab of either my
local area connection or my ISP dial up connection I get
the message: "Windows cannot display the properties of
this connection. The Window Management Instrumentation
(WMI) information might be corrupted. To correct this use
system restore to restore windows to an earlier time
(called restore point)."

The trouble is I have no point to restore to. System
restore was disabled and I had no idea this function
existed!!.

When I checked WMI through control panel - administrative
tools - computer management - services and applications -
WMI control and right click and select properties I get
the message: Failed to connect to <local computer>
because :"Win32: %1 is not a valid Win32 application"

When I run a network diagnostics scan every item shows up
as an error and the detail reads: Unable to connect to
WMI service "\\.\root\cimv2"

I have tried re installing my network card.
I have deleted and reinstalled my dial up connection,
I have tried the solution in Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article - 319101 and that does not work

I have followed the recommended procedure below and that
does not work.
Try (using e.g. Start/Run, or a command prompt):

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll
I have tried following this procedure as well and it does
not work
Go to Start/Run/CMD and then run each of these hitting
enter after each:

winmgmt /clearadap
winmgmt /kill
winmgmt /unregserver
winmgmt /regserver
winmgmt /resyncperf

I have tried this command:
%windir%\system32\wbem\mofcomp %windir%\system32
\wbem\hnetcfg.mof

and get the following :

Parsing MOF file: c:Windows\system32\wbem\hnetcfg.mof
MOF file has been successfully parsed
Storing data in repository...
An error occurred while opening the name space for object
1 defined on lines 16-19
Error number 0x800700c1, Facility: Win 32
Compiler returned error 0x800700c1

Can anybody out there help?

Alfarjamie

Damn man im allso having the same error, it did work fine. One day when
i want to turn ICS on, bam gives me a WMI is damaged error. ive done
everything you guys listed here, nothing has helped it work. it all
applyed sucessfully, just didnt fix the damn WMI is damaged error. And
i cant system restore my pc because its turned off and im not doing the
full WIPE thats sure as hell, that will be 3 days of downloading non
stop again (updates for games and programs etc)