Unable to add printing devices.

Richard

I have a new printer and am unable to add it. If I plug in
the USB cable from the printer into the machine, WinXP Home
will pop up a bubble saying "Found New Hardware - Canon
S330" and will try to install it by itself. However, it'll
pop up the window "Found New Hardware Wizard" and in the
dialog it'll state:
"Cannot install this hardware
There was a problem installing this hardware:
Canon S330
An error occurred during the installation of the device:
The RPC server is unavailable."
I am in System Administrator log on to install software and
hardware. I've downloaded Canon's latest drivers for the
S330. I thought it was a problem with the printer, but it
seems to be a problem with Windows XP, for I cannot even
add any new printing device. If I click "Pinters and
Faxes" under the Control Panel, and click "Add a Printer",
I get a dialog msg box of "Printers" saying "Operation
could not be completed."

Does anyone know a solution to adding a new printing
device? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kris

I'm bumping this message to the top, as I am having the
EXACT same problem outlined below. Also, when I go to
Conrol Panel/Printers and Faxes, click File and then
Servers and Properties, I get the following error
message: "Server properties cannot be viewed. The print
spooler service is not running."

I've tried every suggestion I could find on the Microsoft
Knowledge Base and Windows Help to restart the spooler,
and it still won't allow me to install a printer.

Please help!!

Robert Orleth [MSFT]

OK, folks, let's not jump to conclusions - there is more than one way to
hose the print system completely (unfortunately), you may have the same
symptoms but chances are you don't have the same problem. Everybody that
gets "the RPC server is not available", please start the spooler using
either the Services applet from the Computer Management or the command line
command "net start spooler". If the spooler doesn't start, what's the error
message ?

As far as clicking on the Add Printer Wizard and getting "the operation
could not be completed", please run
"sfc /scannow"
from the command line.

This information is provided "AS-IS" and confers no rights.