ULTILEX - The Ultimate Linux Experience

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
ULTILEX stands for "Ultimate Linux Experience". This is a live Linux CD compilation which in turn contains several live Linux distributions. You can boot ULTILEX from CD/DVD and USB flash devices.

When you boot ULTILEX, the first thing you'll see is a beautiful startup screen with menu from which you can choose the exact live Linux distribution to run. The current version of ULTILEX is 10.8 (August 2010) and it contains the following live Linux distributions:

• Slax version 6.1.2
  • Puppy Linux version 5.0.1
  • Tiny Core version 3.0
  • System Rescue CD version 1.5.8
  • Parted Magic version 5.2
  • boot.kernel.org (BKO)
One interesting feature of ULTILEX is that you can install it with ease on USB flash device and save the changes you've made durign the live session on it. You can modify files and even install/remove modules and all your changes are saved on the USB flash.

To install on USB flash device, follow these steps (applied from Slax):

1. Copy all files and folders from the CD to the root folder of your USB flash device.
  2. Execute "/boot/bootinst.sh" (for Linux), or "\boot\bootinst.bat" (for Windows).
  3. That's all. You are ready to boot ULTILEX from your USB flash device! :)
Looks like a really neat way to try out some of the lightweight GNU/Linux offerings. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
EvanDavis said:
What ? No link for us lazy folk that can't be bothered to use Google ? :D

Ah ha you spotted the deliberate mistake and fell into the prepared trap.
laughingsmiley.gif

Your link leads to an outdated version.
nod.gif

Mine however is very much upto date ;) as indeed am I
laughingsmiley.gif

http://ultilex.sourceforge.net/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wtf?

If it was anybody else but Erik the Viking I'd scream 'Spam!'

But.

I've just loaded a HDD with Mint 9 Isadora. have yet to configure stuff like e-mail and dat, but I will.

But hey, first impressions are good.

Those making claims to be 'best ever' or 'Ultimate' leave me cold, frankly.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
HTML:
I've just loaded a HDD with Mint 9 Isadora. have yet to configure stuff  like e-mail and dat, but I will.

Those making claims to be 'best ever' or 'Ultimate' leave me cold,  frankly.

Hope sucking on gnomey mints leave you with a pleasant taste in your mouth at the end of the day :D

I think the guys use of "ultimate" is a bit of harmless showmanship as he is a one man band and seems a nice genuine guy as his "about me" and forum posts seem to show.

My name is Ivan Davidov and I currently live and work in Sofia, Bulgaria. The idea about ULTILEX hit me while I was experimenting with my local HDD Linux installation. After I managed to install several coexisting distributions on a single Ext3 partition, I asked myself if there are anly live Linux distributions coexisting on the same media. Well, I couldn't find such live Linux CD so I created one - ULTILEX!

nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
HTML:
I've just loaded a HDD with Mint 9 Isadora. have yet to configure stuff  like e-mail and dat, but I will.

Those making claims to be 'best ever' or 'Ultimate' leave me cold,  frankly.

Hope sucking on gnomey mints leave you with a pleasant taste in your mouth at the end of the day :D

Gnomey Mints. I like that :D

I used to prefer KDE but Gnome's quite ok, imo.

Mr Spikey Hat said:
I think the guys use of "ultimate" is a bit of harmless showmanship as he is a one man band and seems a nice genuine guy as his "about me" and forum posts seem to show.

My name is Ivan Davidov and I currently live and work in Sofia, Bulgaria. The idea about ULTILEX hit me while I was experimenting with my local HDD Linux installation. After I managed to install several coexisting distributions on a single Ext3 partition, I asked myself if there are anly live Linux distributions coexisting on the same media. Well, I couldn't find such live Linux CD so I created one - ULTILEX!

nod.gif

Aye, I guess, so, but it would put me off straightaway, just seing the title. Am I too grumpy? Probably :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Gnomey Mints. I like that :D

I used to prefer KDE but Gnome's quite ok, imo.

Aye, I guess, so, but it would put me off straightaway, just seing the title. Am I too grumpy? Probably :)

Now your a fledgling penguin why not change your forum name to something more appropriate, like,Grumpygnomeymintsucker
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Now your a fledgling penguin why not change your forum name to something more appropriate, like,Grumpygnomeymintsucker
laughingsmiley.gif

Oh, that really rolls off the tongue easily don't it? ;)

Fledgling Penguin? I've been messing with Linux since around '96 I think, didn't understand it then and probably don't understand it now.

The very first distro I tried was an early Mandriva, but I think it was called something else then, possibly Mandrake. I couldn't even install it and gave up. The CD came with the first issue of a Linux magazine and it had fairly detailed instructions how to install inside the mag but still no go for me.

Came back to it on and off over the years then about 5 years ago, I think, made the deision not to take Linux seriously until I found a Distro that just plain worked.

And Mint has almost realised that ambition, so I like it.

'Almost' being the operative word here, but at least now I'm using it regularly, which has to be a good thing.

With Gnome.

Mine has a pointy green hat, a big red nose, a white beard, tartan troosers, green wellington boots and escaped from a garden in Dulwich. With a fishing rod.

Ask a Question