    replaced had not begun to run out at all, in fact it had been sitting on the
    shelf for 3-4 years.

    Thanks.

    Jack Sala, Feb 23, 2012

  2. From: "who where" <>

    > On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:14:28 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    > dot nz> wrote:
    >
    >> Toner cartridges definitely have a life. People differ enormously when
    >> discussing this and most manufacturers give only a year or two. The problem is
    >> usually with cartridges that have a built in drum like yours, the drum will
    >> deteriorate even in darkness and definitely in the printer; the drum is
    >> affected by light, even tiny amounts over time. Light print is nearly always
    >> drum related in a HP printer.

    > sorry to intervene in the O/P's thread ....
    >
    > Tony, we have a P1505N which has a nominal 1500 page @5% cartridge
    > capability, and which reports about 400 left. The printed images are
    > faint in the central 40% or so of the width. Is this likely to signal
    > the same issue and resolution (replace cart)?

    Yes. Did you shake the cartridge ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

    David H. Lipman, Feb 24, 2012

  3. Jack Sala

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:51:23 -0600, Tony wrote:

    > who where <> wrote:
    >>On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:14:28 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    >>dot nz> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Toner cartridges definitely have a life. People differ enormously when
    >>>discussing this and most manufacturers give only a year or two. The
    >>>problem is
    >>>usually with cartridges that have a built in drum like yours, the drum
    >>>will deteriorate even in darkness and definitely in the printer; the
    >>>drum is affected by light, even tiny amounts over time. Light print is
    >>>nearly always drum related in a HP printer.

    >>sorry to intervene in the O/P's thread ....
    >>
    >>Tony, we have a P1505N which has a nominal 1500 page @5% cartridge
    >>capability, and which reports about 400 left. The printed images are
    >>faint in the central 40% or so of the width. Is this likely to signal
    >>the same issue and resolution (replace cart)?

    > Yes very likely. One of the factors can be the 5% coverage, if your
    > printer has printed a greater than 5% average the cartridge will print
    > light before the 1500 pages are done. Having said that, I would expect
    > it to print light across the width of the page. Light printing in the
    > middle of the page is normally caused by a worn drum requiring
    > replacement of the cartridge (once more, that is in printers that use
    > integrtated cartridges like yours). Tony

    Or badly distributed remaining toner. Rock the cartridge back and forth a
    few times and you'll often get a load more proper pages out.

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

    Bob Eager, Feb 24, 2012