Two server with same AD name.

I have a question about windows 2003 and windows 2000 server.
I have a windows 2000 server, it is AD and exchange server, now I want to
replace this server with a new server, I did install windows 2003 server with
SP 1 and Exchange on a new server and I made this server a Domain controller
with the same configuration of the old server (the same Domain name) except
the netbios name, these 2 servers have different netbios names and IP address.
Both this servers have 2 network adapter, with 2 sets of IP address.
One of the network adapter in each of these servers has 1 public IP address,
for internet ( both this servers are in the same subnet)
And second Network Adapter in both servers have 1 Privet IP address in rang
of 10.0.0.0, the second network Adapters are attach to the same switch, this
way we are able to move data between the old and new servers.(I have to use
the second Adapter because of the cost, if I want to move data on the othere
Adapter I have to pay)
I want to let these 2 servers for some short time working beside each other,
for moving data between them, and then Decommission the old one.
Now my question:
Is it possible to do this? Or I will come cross some problem regarding AD,
because these 2 servers have the same Domain name? Or nothing would happen?

I would appreciate your help.

Shahin.

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Shahin said:
Hi,
[...]

Are you saying that when you ran dcpromo on the 2k3 server you created it as
a new domain with the same AD name?
Or did you dcpromo it as an additional DC in and existing domain?
The second option would have been the correct way.

If you used the first option, it won't work because before you could
migrate anything you would have to create a trust, which you cannot do
because you cannot create trust between two domains with the same name.

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for reply,
I know it is very strange, and we should install the new server as
Additional AD, but Due to some reason I did install the new server as First
Domain controller, and by moving Data I meant just normal Data and not AD
data.
Both servers are in the same Location and are going to connected to each
other from
There second network Adapter.
I hope I am clear enough other wais let me know.
Thanks,

Shahin.

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Shahin said:
Hi Kevin,
Thanks for reply,
I know it is very strange, and we should install the new server as
Additional AD, but Due to some reason I did install the new server as
First Domain controller, and by moving Data I meant just normal Data
and not AD data.
Both servers are in the same Location and are going to connected to
each other from
There second network Adapter.
I hope I am clear enough other wais let me know.
Thanks,

What do you consider normal Data?
If you are referring to Exchange mailboxes, this is AD data and you cannot
move mailboxes from one Exchange server to the other.

Hi Kevin,
first thanks for your reply, let's me ask u this:

I need some info on replacing Windows 2000 server that is a domain
controller with a windows 2003 server that is going to be a domain
controller in the same domain.

I have a windows 2000 server that is a domain controller and it is in a
remote site and I want to replace this windows 2000 server with a new windows
2003 server.
I know that I have to install this windows 2003 server as a additional
domain controller in existing domain, and I know that I can promote this
server to a domain controller by using back-up media, but is it possible to
promote a windows 2003 server to domain controller by using a back up of
windows 2000 server domain controller?
or considering my situation(windows 2000 AD is in aremote site) what is the
best way to do this?

Thanks.

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Shahin said:
Hi Kevin,
first thanks for your reply, let's me ask u this:

I need some info on replacing Windows 2000 server that is a domain
controller with a windows 2003 server that is going to be a domain
controller in the same domain.

I have a windows 2000 server that is a domain controller and it is in
a remote site and I want to replace this windows 2000 server with a
new windows 2003 server.

If you want to replace the Win2000 server, promote the Win2003 into the
Win2k domain, transfer the FSMO roles, Global Catalog, and migrate the
Exchange mailboxes.

If the win2k is using Exchange 2000 and the Win2k3 has Exchange 2003 I'd
recommend posting in the Exchange group for doing this, I have not
experienced this type of migration yet. I do know that there are some
features that aren't available until the Forest is at Windows Server 2003
functional level and Exchange is at Exchange 2003 functional level. Some
features, such as RPC over HTTPS is not available until all Global Catalog
servers are on Windows Server 2003 DCs.

After all roles are transfered, use DCPromo to remove the Win2k DCs from the
domain.
I know that I have to install this windows 2003 server as a additional
domain controller in existing domain, and I know that I can promote
this server to a domain controller by using back-up media, but is it
possible to promote a windows 2003 server to domain controller by
using a back up of windows 2000 server domain controller?

I don't know if this is a supported upgrade option.
or considering my situation(windows 2000 AD is in aremote site) what
is the best way to do this?

If the Windows 2000 DC is at a remote site, how remote is it?

Before you can promote an additional Windows Server 2003 domain controller
into a Windows 2000 forest, an administrator must successfully run adprep
/forestprep on the schema operations master and run adprep /domainprep on
the infrastructure master in the Windows 2000 forest

278875 - Cannot Promote a Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller into a
Windows 2000 Forest
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278875&sd=RMVP

How to upgrade Windows 2000 domain controllers to Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379/

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Shahin said:
[...]

I just did this for a client 3 months ago without a hitch. Here are the
steps. Keep in mind, if you want to demote a Win2000 DC to a member server
that has Ex2000 installed, it cannot be done. Ex2000 must be removed first,
then the DC can be demoted. Follow the steps to install a new 2003 DC, then
install Ex2003 either on this or a member server (recommended), move
everything tothe new Ex2003, then remove Ex2000 off the old DC, then demote
it.

"Moving to a new Ex2003 currently on a Win2000 server, installing Win2003 DC
in an existing 2000 AD and removing Ex2000, then demoting the 2000 DC (if
you like)."

1. Run the command in this article to fix the mangled attributes in your
current domain. This is because Ex2000 creates two incompatible attributes
that Win2003 cannot use since it was updated in 2003 AD. Follow the steps
under "Scenario 2: Exchange 2000 Schema Changes Are Installed Before You Run
the Windows Server 2003 adprep /forestprep Command"

Windows Server 2003 adprep /forestprep Command Causes Mangled Attributes in
Windows 2000 Forests That Contain Exchange 2000 Servers:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314649

2. Then promote the W2003 as a DC in the existing domain.

3. Move the FSMOs and the GC to the new server.Allow replication to take
place and insure that the new DC has taken on the FSMO roles and it became a
GC. Check DNS to insure that it's now registerd as a GC.

4. Install Ex2003 as an additional Exchange server in the existing
organization. You can install it on the new DC, but rather on a separate
W2003 memeber server (highly recommended).

5. In AD, rt-click, Exchange Tasks, move all mailboxes to the new Ex2003
server.

6. Move ALL Public and System (hidden) folders to the new Ex 2003 server.
Follow these articles and look for the section about "Migration of mailboxes
and public folders". This is extremely important because the system folders
are only created at time or the Ex organization creation. If you don't do
this and remove the first server, it's possible to recreate them, but it's
extremely difficult.

822450 - How to Remove the Last Exchange Server 5.5 Computer from an
Exchange Server 2003 Administrative Group (Look at "Migration of mailboxes
and public folders"):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=822450&product=exch2003

822450 - How to Remove the Last Exchange Server 5.5 Computer from an
Exchange Server 2003 Administrative Group (Look at Step 4 about how to view
the System Folders and how to replicate them and remove the original
instances):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=822450&product=exch2003

Step-by-Step Migrating Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 Using New Hardware:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating-Exchange2000-Exchange-2003-Hardware.html

7. Once you've verified the folders are all moved, mailboxes are working,
then run the Ex 2000 setup and remove (uninstall) Ex2000 off of the original
machine.

8. Double check in ADSI Edit, configuration container, Services, Exchange,
drill down to the server list, and insure that the original one is gone.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.

Not sure how? It's easy:
How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile.

The only thing in life is change. Anything less is a blackhole consuming
unnecessary energy.

Thanks this is very helpful info.

Shahin

In