Two Problems

Brian R.

1) It will not let me run Windows Update. It's telling me
this:
Software Update Incomplete

The Windows Update software did not update successfully.
Below are some suggestions to help you proceed:
You may have clicked No when prompted to accept the Trust
Certificate. To allow the Windows Update site software to
install, click Yes when presented with the Security
Warning dialog box.
Your Internet Explorer security settings may be set too
high. To install the updated software and access Windows
Update, Internet Explorer security must be set to medium
or lower, and active scripting and the download and
initialization of ActiveX controls must be enabled.

I've tried the above stuff, -- even set my security
settings to low -- and I haven't tried the process of
replacing the files it says on that same page -- I'm
using that only after I've expired other options.

2) When I download KB817778 (Advanced Networking Pack for
Windows XP) and attempt to install it, I get an error
message: "Setup cannot verify the integrity of the file
update.inf. Please ensure the Cryptographic Service is
running." I made sure Cryptographic is running, and it
is.

I think these two issues are somehow interconnected, for
it wasn't until I got DSL through SBC Yahoo that these
problems started happening, so I think they could be
interconnected.

Posted to:
Internet Technologies > Internet Explorer 6.0 > Browser
Windows > Windows XP > Security and Administration

Please respond to this message via email.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Review the troubleshooting tips in these articles:

Windows Update Troubleshooter
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

Problems When Viewing or Downloading From Windows Update
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193385

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Problems Connecting to Windows Update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818018

Error Message: Thank You For Your Interest in Windows Update...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;234272

"Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software
Did Not Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit
the Windows Update Web Site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319585

How To Fix The Cryptographic Service Error
http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html

Also, visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm and scroll
down to "Why Can't I Download Updates" for additional troubleshooting ideas.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!