Two printers, one computer

C

Cheryl

I have a Lexmark X1185 connected to my computer using an USB port. I just connected by HP OfficeJet T45 using the parallel port and installed the software. If I boot my computer with just one of the printers on, the printer works perfectly fine. If I try to have both printers on and try to print to one of the printers, I get the following message:

"Communication Not Available. The printer cannot communicate with t computer. Try these solutions:
- Disconnect and reconnect the printers power cable.
- Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable.
- Restart your computer."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

One of the printers connected must be designated as the Default printer,
have you done that? Go to: Start>Control Panel>Printers and faxes>
rightclick the printer you want as the default and click Set as Default
printer.
Now when you do a print job it will automatically go to the default printer.
You can go back and forth changing default as you wish.

M

mao

It sounds like the USB and LPT ports may have conflicting setups (ie USB setup to LPTx and LPT port setup to LPTx) where x is the same number. Go to the Device Manager and look at the USB connected printer and see what name it is installed as (LPTx or USBxxx). If it is setup as LPT it may be conflicting with your parallel port. If it is see if you can change the name in the USB properties. Your lpt port should display LPTx where x is some number usually 1 or 2. Set your usb to the opposite of the LPT port.

Optionally (at your own risk)
Disconnect the USB printer cable from the computer (the computer connection not the printer connection) Delete the USB device for the USB printer from Device Manager. Connect and power on your LPT printer. Reboot your computer. Plug in your USB printer cable. It should auto detect and re-install.
I have a Lexmark X1185 connected to my computer using an USB port. I just connected by HP OfficeJet T45 using the parallel port and installed the software. If I boot my computer with just one of the printers on, the printer works perfectly fine. If I try to have both printers on and try to print to one of the printers, I get the following message:

"Communication Not Available. The printer cannot communicate with t computer. Try these solutions:
- Disconnect and reconnect the printers power cable.
- Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable.
- Restart your computer."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question