Twenty One Months

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Is how long I've had the system detailed in my signature.

Since it's initial build in November 2006 I've changed the power supply, graphics card, case and added 2Gb of memory and an extra storage HDD but everything else is the same.I also changed from Windows XP to Vista in January of this year.

I was thinking by now I should be feeling the need to upgrade, but I don't, truth be told.

This has been and is a fine system and I'm very happy with it. I've toyed with the idea of a quad core CPU at a faster clock speed but honestly don't think the advantages gained would justify the money spent. I really don't need quad core as my multi-tasking rarely goes beyond two major software applications and my two cores cope with that admirably.

And after nine years intense crunching I no longer crunch so no advantage with quad core in that area.

The machine handles all games well, including Crysis at mid settings, and I don't see me upgrading the video card for at least a year.

I'm tempted by an X48 chipset motherboard but again, will the performance gain justify the cash outlay?

So, that's it I guess, somebody posting to say he's happy with his (relatively) old system. Quite odd I'm not getting the upgrade itch actually but I really don't think there's any need.

My last major system was an AMD socket A 2.2Ghz setup, I had that for two years and I was very happy with that one as well. I have a feeling this current system is going to be good for at least another 6 months, we shall see.

Sometimes on a forum you get a post that says everything's good, not often, I'll grant you, but this is such a post.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Aye, my rig is 16 months old atm, bar the GTX which i got last September. Hang on thats a year ago!! :eek:

Hmmm, just going through my order history with OcUK, even the 22" Samsung is almost a year old!

....my how time files. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, I recently had an e-mail from OCUK offering me a 10% discount as it seems I haven't purchased anything from them for over twelve months. That surprised me.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Same here, i couldn't believe it! lol

Reaction score
Nice no need to upgrade?

I am on the opposite end there Flopps. I must have been with a Socket "boring" A CPU for the last 5 years or so.
I rekon 2003 was my very first build when I was a kid. Time to upgrade and invest in a future proof setup who knows what will happen in 5 years time!

Reaction score
And to me............ you are still an old man, you were 5 years ago :p haha

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
And to me............ you are still an old man, you were 5 years ago :p haha

And you, mon ami, have just shot yourself in the foot :p

Shower time.....

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Is how long I've had the system detailed in my signature.

Since it's initial build in November 2006 I've changed the power supply, graphics card, case and added 2Gb of memory and an extra storage HDD but everything else is the same.I also changed from Windows XP to Vista in January of this year.

I was thinking by now I should be feeling the need to upgrade, but I don't, truth be told.

This has been and is a fine system and I'm very happy with it. I've toyed with the idea of a quad core CPU at a faster clock speed but honestly don't think the advantages gained would justify the money spent. I really don't need quad core as my multi-tasking rarely goes beyond two major software applications and my two cores cope with that admirably.

And after nine years intense crunching I no longer crunch so no advantage with quad core in that area.

The machine handles all games well, including Crysis at mid settings, and I don't see me upgrading the video card for at least a year.

I'm tempted by an X48 chipset motherboard but again, will the performance gain justify the cash outlay?

So, that's it I guess, somebody posting to say he's happy with his (relatively) old system. Quite odd I'm not getting the upgrade itch actually but I really don't think there's any need.

My last major system was an AMD socket A 2.2Ghz setup, I had that for two years and I was very happy with that one as well. I have a feeling this current system is going to be good for at least another 6 months, we shall see.

Sometimes on a forum you get a post that says everything's good, not often, I'll grant you, but this is such a post.

"If it aint broke, then don't fix it"

Reaction score
psd99 said:
lol haha you give me laughs Flopps! :)

Nice quote there madxgraphics :)

Woohoo I said something good today..Now if I can just get her in doors to think the same haha

Reaction score
My PC is older than yours! And I havnt touched ONE thing since the initial build! I'm still happy with it, runs COD 4 and I now have an xbox so no need for games!

Good to see your happy with your set-up, spend the extra cash on a round of beers for PCR team instead of a new gig of ram :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's good news :D Might as well save your pennies for now and get something better when you find it's getting a bit sluggish :nod:

My PC's around 1 year old now, and I can't imagine upgrading it any time soon. I think it would be at least a 12-18 months before I upgrade anything :D

It's a Q6600, 8800 GTS and 2GB ram - and it can run anything I throw at it, which is all I need :thumb:

Reaction score
My system must be at least 3 years old now, and it is exactly the same except now I have a Logitech MX518 mouse, which is absolutely leagues ahead of the Copperhead for £15 less...

I built it at a stupid time, just before the C2D were about.

Still, it is more than good enough for what I need it to do. I don't play games half as much as I used to, but I am stuck in 2 minds as to whether to get an 8800GTX for £115?!?! I mean seriously, wow. As a guesstimate I would think that would give me at least 70% more performance. Then again, I could only use it for a month and then I would be at uni.

Honestly. You stop browsing prices of computer stuff for 3 months and things have halved in price. Future proofing is not possible :p

Ask a Question