    MOVED?
    Presumably the person who coded this in as default behaviour does NOT use
    Word.....

    Gordon, Feb 2, 2008

  2. Gordon

    Graham Mayor Guest

    Word Options > Proofing > Autocorrect Options > Autoformat as you type >
    Uncheck 'Set left- and first- indent with tabs and backspaces.

    Word has always had these options set by default but as with any other
    option you can choose to switch them off.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    My web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Graham Mayor, Feb 2, 2008

  3. Instead of using the tab key, use Ctrl+T (note Ctrl+Shift+T will undo the
    command).

    --

    Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

    Terry Farrell, Feb 2, 2008
  4. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Graham Mayor" <> wrote in message
    > Word Options > Proofing > Autocorrect Options > Autoformat as you type >
    > Uncheck 'Set left- and first- indent with tabs and backspaces.

    Thanks - I knew where to turn this off in 2003, but couldn't find it in
    2007!

    > Word has always had these options set by default but as with any other
    > option you can choose to switch them off.

    Precisely - IMHO these advanced options should be turned OFF by default - so
    simple users like me don't pull their hair out in exasperation, but advanced
    users can turn them ON if they want.

    Gordon, Feb 2, 2008
  5. Gordon

    Graham Mayor Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Graham Mayor" <> wrote in message
    >> Word Options > Proofing > Autocorrect Options > Autoformat as you
    >> type > Uncheck 'Set left- and first- indent with tabs and backspaces.

    > Thanks - I knew where to turn this off in 2003, but couldn't find it
    > in 2007!
    >

    >> Word has always had these options set by default but as with any
    >> other option you can choose to switch them off.

    > Precisely - IMHO these advanced options should be turned OFF by
    > default - so simple users like me don't pull their hair out in
    > exasperation, but advanced users can turn them ON if they want.

    I believe the thinking is that if the functions are not turned on, users
    will not know they exist.

    --

    Graham Mayor, Feb 2, 2008