    when we ping ip # then it shows ttl=128 or ttl=64 , can u
    people tell me wht is the meaning of ttl=128 or 64 ????
    is there any data flow speed??

    Kbaloch, Oct 8, 2003

  2. TTL = Time to live. It's a setting which prevents packets from living
    eternally within the net. Each time a router forwards a packet it's supposed
    to decriment the packet's ttl. Eventually when a the value drops to zero the
    packet will be gone for good. The expectation is that the packet will get to
    its destination before that period, but if it doesn't, the network isn't
    bogged down with such things.

    In a ping, the data flow speed is kinda listed with the time value measured
    in miliseconds, though this isn't a truly accurate value since it's just
    calculating how long it took for the ping to get to the remote computer +
    the time it took for the response + the time it took for the remote computer
    to get around to responding.

    --
    David
    Microsoft Windows Networking