From: "jjk" <[email protected]>
Subject: trying to install printer driver in W2003
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:14:51 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server

I am trying to install a W2k printer driver on Windows 2003 and I get the
following error that this action is being blocked by a policy that "blocks
windows nt 4.0 or windows 2000 kernel-mode drivers"

anyone knows how and where I can override this policy?

thanks,

Raul Rego
NJPIES
(e-mail address removed)
--

Raul,

By default Windows 2003 does not support Kernel Mode printer drivers, also known as Version 2 drivers. In order to
enable a Windows 2003 system to use Kernel Mode printer drivers you'll need to set a policy. Under Computer
Configuration\Administrative Templates\Printers find the policy "Disallow installation of printer using kernel-mode drivers"
and change this to Disabled. You may have to wait a few minutes or restart the system for this to take affect and allow you
to install the driver.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.