Trying to delete data file that has no associated email account

Reaction score
This is a very strange problem that I have not been able to resolve even after scouring the Internet for help. What happened was that I downloaded one of those auto-configure programs from my ISP to set up IMAP email access (FWIW it uses Gmail's servers). I double-clicked it and it did some stuff in the background. When I opened Outlook 2007 up, it asked me something like if I wanted to import some data to create an account for it. I clicked no at the time, because I decided I didn't want to do it then.

I don't quite remember the sequence of events after that, but the problem is that I have an entry in my Mail Folders called "imap.gmail.com (*email address*)." I manually set up the email account later successfully and it just has the email address, not imap.gmail.com with email address in parentheses. In any case, I can't delete this strange mail folder. It's strange because it is not in my list of email accounts in Account Settings. But it is a data file in the next tab over. When I try to remove it from the Data Files tab, it just says "This data file is associated with a mail account. To remove it use the 'E-mail' tab." But it's not in the E-Mail tab!!

How can I delete this? I tried doing some registry stuff but it was making Outlook really slow to boot, so I restored the registry. I tried redownloading the original auto-configure program and running it again, but--get this--when I downloaded it again, my anti-virus program thought it was a virus and didn't let me run it.

This is annoying because every now and then when I do Send/Receive I have to click Close like 5 times for some repetitive dialog boxes that tell me that the IMAP connection for that "account" was inactive.

Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Wow...I finally fixed it. I was pretty wary of running my ISP's auto-configure program, because my anti-virus program still didn't like it. But I turned it off and ran it again. I guess it "fixed" the configuration of the trouble data file, setting up the parallel email account with it. So I was finally able to remove it.

Ask a Question