Transfering all Outlook Information to new computer

Dave

I have purchased a new computer. I have Outlook 2003 installed on it. I
still have my old computer (on which I have Outlook 2002). I want to
transfer "all of what Outlook is" to the new computer including the
following:

- Calander
- Contacts
- Rules
- Saved emails (folders)
- Junk Mail blocked mail addresses
- Rules
- Email Accounts and settings (I have 30 accounts)
- Personal Address Book

i.e. I want to lose nothing from Outlook 2002. How do I do this?

scott

I'm disappointed nobody has responded to this one. I'm in the same position.
I've tried a couple things and so far they have failed.

Can anyone help?

Scott

Robert Findlay [MSFT]

Here is some information on how to transfer your information:
Contacts, Calendar, E-mail Folders-
1. Open Outlook on the Old machine.
2. Right Click on the Personal Folder in the Folder List and Select
Properties.
3. Click on Advanced.
4. Find the location of the Personal Folder (.PST) by looking at the
Filename field.
5. In Windows Explorer locate the file listed in step 4 and copy it to the
new computer.
6. Open Oultook on the New computer.
7. Go to File -> Import and Export.
8. Select "Import from another program or file" and Click Next.
9. Select "Personal Folder File (.pst)" and Click Next.
10. Click the Browse button and select the location of the .PST file from
the Old machine and Click OK.
11. Click Next and then Click Finish.
This will import all of your Contacts, Calendar and E-mail into the new
Outlook.

Here is a link to an article that tells how to move the Personal Address
Book, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;291618.

To move the Rules-
1. Open Outlook on the Old machine.
2. Go to Tools -> Rules Wizard.
3. Click Options and then Click Export Rules.
4. Select where to save the file to and give it a name and Click Save.
5. Click OK and then Click OK again.
6. Copy the .RWZ file that was created in step 4 to the New machine.
7. Open Outlook on the New machine and go to Tools -> Rules and Alerts.
8. Click on Options and then Select Import Rules.
9. Locate the .RWZ file and Click Open.
This will import your rules. You will want to verify that all of the
parameters of the rules are still valid such as if a rule said to move to a
specific folder you may have to reselect that folder.

As far as the E-mail Accounts, Outlook 2002 does not allow you to export
the accounts so I don't have a way move those automatically.

For the Junk E-mail filter list-
1. Search the Old machine for the Filters.txt file.
2. Copy this file to the New machine and replace the Filters.txt file on
the New machine with the one from the Old machine.
This should move all of the blocked addresses to the New machine.

I hope all of this information helps.

Robert Findlay
Partner Technical Lead -- Outlook/Office Setup
Microsoft Technical Support for Platforms and Business Applications

From: scott <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Subject: Re: Transfering all Outlook Information to new computer