Transfer Data - 2 Secured Databases

I have two databases secured by different workgroup files, and I am trying to
figure out a way to import and/or append some data from database A to a table
in database B.

I''ve read prior threads about unsecring the files and resecuring them with
the same workgourp file, but the conversations suggested that you had to
"Join" that new work group, and that this would affect all other databases.
We use a number of databases that are unsecured, so I don't think this
solution will fit.

Among many other things I've tried coding for DoCmd.TransferDatabase, but it
does not seem to accept a workgroup file path or username/password.

(Posted to Forms Coding Group as well).

Keith Wilby

Scottam said:
I have two databases secured by different workgroup files, and I am trying
figure out a way to import and/or append some data from database A to a
table
in database B.

I''ve read prior threads about unsecring the files and resecuring them
with
the same workgourp file, but the conversations suggested that you had to
"Join" that new work group, and that this would affect all other
databases.
We use a number of databases that are unsecured, so I don't think this
solution will fit.

You should only join your custom workgroup at runtime, thus not affecting
your unsecured apps. Go ahead and use a common WIF.
Among many other things I've tried coding for DoCmd.TransferDatabase, but
it
does not seem to accept a workgroup file path or username/password.

(Posted to Forms Coding Group as well).

This is evil and must be stopped! Multi-posting bad, cross-posting good.

Regards,
Keith.
www.keithwilby.com

Thanks Keith, I'll give that a try.

Keith Wilby said:
You should only join your custom workgroup at runtime, thus not affecting
your unsecured apps. Go ahead and use a common WIF.

This is evil and must be stopped! Multi-posting bad, cross-posting good.

Regards,
Keith.
www.keithwilby.com

Joan Wild

You can accomplish this with the two separate workgroup files.

You just need to ensure that there is a group and or user that is common to
both.

You just create the exact same group (using the same PID), in both mdw
files. Grant that group the necessary permissions and anyone in the group
can access either database using either mdw.

Thanks Joan, that worked perfectly. I was making it much harder than it
needed to be.