Tornados, Here in the UK !!

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Well its time to chill out the rest of today because folks...get ready for some of the fiercest storms for years with the added bonus that a few Tornados will be seen !!!

You are probably saying Tornados here ..never ...but read on for facts.
The fact was calculated by the late Dr Fujita of Chicago University. He devised the standard method of measuring tornado intensity. Fujita figured that since Britain has an average of 33 tornadoes every year in an area 38 times smaller than the USA, you're twice as likely to witness a tornado here.

How tornadoes happen
Warm and cool airstreams collide
A rotating area of low pressure storm clouds form
Air within a low pressure front rises, creating a strong upward draught like a vacuum cleaner
This draws in surrounding warm air from ground level, causing it to spin faster and faster
These strong air currents can create a vortex - a spiralling funnel of wind - that can reach speeds of 300mph

<LI>Where the funnel touches the ground, it creates a path of concentrated destruction, rarely more than 250m across

Heavy objects, like cars and cows, can be sucked up and flung around like confetti, and houses appear to explode. This is because air pressure within the vortex is extremely low. Inside the building the air pressure is normal, so when the tornado passes over, the air inside the building expands, creating an explosion.

</SPAN>
tornado_site_oklahoma.jpg

Tornado in Oklahoma
Wind speeds in tornadoes can vary from 72 to almost 300mph. Fortunately, only 2 percent of all tornadoes have winds greater than 200 mph.

Seems like Monday was a pre curser of whats to come ..for us in the North Midlands ,North West UK.

Funnel Cloud, Cornwall
**Reality Check Please**

**Uk Tornados are far smaller than the US versions**

Please read this for information on UK severe storm warnings
http://www.torro.org.uk/forecast/

Reaction score
Forecast from the Met office for my parents area is hot & plenty of sun:(
It never rains down south;)

Reaction score
Very rarely do we see Funnel Clouds, but as you say Rush, it may be very possible with the current weather that's meant to be sweeping in from France overnight into Wednesday.

Severe Thunderstorms are predicted for the South and as they move it, they'll slowly drift northwards causing flash flooding and some awesome lightning displays for some.

Reaction score
We get more tornados than the USA, ours just aren't as impressive.

My sister is on the Kansas/Oklahoma border at the moment - tornado alley in tornado season - and its just about to storm.

I already told you i nealy got killed by a tornado in Arkansas when i was younger - that was scary!!

Reaction score
So does this mean the home counties are going to get RAIN.;)
If we get rain i will become a very happy person :D

I've seen two Tornados near by, one when in Texas back in the 80's
And one doing 600mph in a valley in Wales:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
feckit said:
So does this mean the home counties are going to get RAIN.;)
If we get rain i will become a very happy person:D
Yep - just come back from the Dagenham, Essex area and driven through several severe downpours - some of the underpasses on the A13 are flooded...

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just wondering as a point of interest ... but do you guys close down your PCs during electrical storms? Or do you have faith in surge protectors? I always dive to un-plug the modem and usually close down 'cos I'm always concerned that the surge protector might not cope :blush: (should I be more trusting..?)

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Just wondering as a point of interest ... but do you guys close down your PCs during electrical storms? Or do you have faith in surge protectors? I always dive to un-plug the modem and usually close down 'cos I'm always concerned that the surge protector might not cope :blush: (should I be more trusting..?)

Do as you think best:nod: I shut down the house mains if there is a violent thunder storm:nod: I have a surge [not urge] protector but?:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
naw, not me ... let them enjoy the thrill

The power of our TStorms can do more damage with a 1ms EMP than a lightning strike ... even if the PC is off and unplugged.

;)

Reaction score
Well the A3, M25 & M23 have been dry.
Cab sat-nav has played up a bit, but looking forward to rain, if we get any tomorrow;)

Reaction score
sod it

we never get any rain because london gives us a huge smog blanket

we had thunder and lightning, and a powercut, but barely a drop of rain

this summer sucks

i want it to rain so badly

Reaction score
HGV2 said:
Well the A3, M25 & M23 have been dry.
Cab sat-nav has played up a bit, but looking forward to rain, if we get any tomorrow;)

Whereabouts on the A3 were you today?

Just after the wisley services near Guildford (north bound to london) was shut this morning and possibly into the afternoon after a cyclist was killled, or killed himself. one of the two.

Lucky its not the stretch i use to go home from work and the stretch dad uses to go to work!! Someone on the Pug forums whos local to me was sat on it stationary for 4 hours today.

Reaction score
uh oh, i have just heard the first boom of thunder at 7.21am.

No rain yet, but the its clouding over badly :(

*no more summer frolicking for me :(*

Ask a Question