Top Ten Tips for spotting "temporary Freeware"

JeremyDestined

Susan said:
Yup - if the idea is to draw in future customers they're shooting
themselves in the foot as far as I'm concerned. IMO the expire/renew
model is usually an indication that they INTEND to pull the rug out
from under me. My reaction -> thanks but no thanks, I'm not
interested in Trialware and I don't trust people/companies that play
games.

Susan

I'd prefer the term "Trowel-ware.." instead of trial-ware.. :) That
way we are describing a way for the program to dig itself its own grave.

Jeremy

JeremyDestined

SeaMaiden said:
That's for Microsoft OneCare, a suite that includes antivirus,
antispyware, and other stuff. I don't need that. I use NOD32
antivirus and Spy Sweeper. Will the stand-alone Microsoft Antispyware
program still be free?

Is nod32 not free-ware?

Jeremy supercommodoreatmaildotcom

B. Otsing

I've been struggling with a way to say that in as few words as possible.
. . one example of what I've started putting in ware descriptions:

Ware: (Donationware) (Registerware: time limited/renewable) (free)

resuscitationware?

Susan Bugher

resuscitationware?

:) It's a thought. . .

So far "renewable" seems like the best all-purpose warning notation.

Some apps are time-limited - newer versions can be downloaded or the app
can be re-registered (Mouser's apps eventually become Freeware). . .
some apps are not time-limited but are keyed - a new key is required if
the app has to be re-installed or your email address changes or. . . in
that case if the company goes the app eventually goes with it - there's
no longer a way to re-install it. . .

IOW - "renewable" means there's some kind of gottcha lurking that has to
do with whether you can use the app "for as long as you wish".

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/WareGlossary.php

"Freeware: Legally obtainable software that you may use at no cost,
monetary or otherwise, for as long as you wish."

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Franklin

:) It's a thought. . .

So far "renewable" seems like the best all-purpose warning
notation.

Some apps are time-limited - newer versions can be downloaded or
the app can be re-registered (Mouser's apps eventually become
Freeware). . . some apps are not time-limited but are keyed - a
new key is required if the app has to be re-installed or your
email address changes or. . . in that case if the company goes
the app eventually goes with it - there's no longer a way to
re-install it. . .

"Expiryware" maybe?

Franklin

Okay, here's a summary of what I think are the *best* pointers
to temporary Freeware. Please review and comment. (ISTM the
final version would make a nice addition to the ACF wiki.)

Susan

-- snip --

Now all that's needed is for someone here to write a real smoothie of
a program which can scan a web site for most of those features
(snipped out this reply) which gives us a somewhat simple but useful
early-warning! :)

Susan Bugher

Dewey Edwards

That's for Microsoft OneCare, a suite that includes antivirus, antispyware,
and other stuff. I don't need that. I use NOD32 antivirus and Spy Sweeper.
Will the stand-alone Microsoft Antispyware program still be free?
MS has released a page that suggests so

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/productcomparisons.mspx

From Langa list were I found this

"Microsoft also has laid out its larger plans for Windows Defender and
several related products, such as "Live Safety Center," One Care
Live," and so on, at: http://tinyurl.com/ahfh4 . Interestingly, two of
the five listed services appear to be heading towards fee-based
operation. But Windows Defender, Windows Live Safety Center and the
Malicious Software Removal Tool will remain free; a good thing."