Windows XP Tools menu: no "Mail Merge"

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m posting yet another question on here (all I ever do is post questions but you are all so helpful!).

I’ve been trying to do address labels for my Christmas cards using Word.

I have the following problem:

In the help instructions it says to go to “Tools” and click “Mail Merge”. The problem was that there was no “Mail Merge” on my Tools menu.

I closed Word and then opened it again via “All Programs” and after doing that twice “Mail Merge” appeared.

Now I’ve come back to the computer and it’s vanished again.

I have tried opening and shutting Word but it makes no difference. I even switched the PC off then back on but still no luck.

I am completely stumped!

Can anyone advise me please?

Thanks very much,

Ailsa XXXXX :confused:

Reaction score
Hi Muckshifter,

thanks that's a great link but even they show you choosing "Mail Merge" from the "Tools" menu in Word.

I do have a datasource and in fact I have done the whole thing a couple of times (a few weeks ago) and even got my labels.

It's just that now there is no "Mail Merge" on my Tools menu anymore. I can't work out what I've done wrong or how to get it back!

I really am lost on this one...

Good wishes and confused smiles,

Ailsa XXXXXX:confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah ... word 2000 uses that stupid 'hide menu' thingie crap ... try this;

First, choose the "Tools" menu and select "Customize".
On the multi-tabbed dialog box that follows, select the "Options" tab.
Uncheck "Menus show recently used commands first" and then click the "Close" button

... let me know. :thumb:

Reaction score
Hi again Muckshifter,

I'm sorry to be really awkward but it still doesn't work. The Mail Merge just doesn't appear on the menu full stop.:(

I really am confused especially as I have used it in the past.

Granted to have opened and closed Word a few times before it's appeared but it's worked eventually.

Thanks for your help,

Ailsa XXXXXX

Reaction score
Hello again,

well I've finally solved the problem!:D

In the end I treid again to phone the computer shop where I bought the PC.

I was told to use the Windows XP search and search for the file normal.dot then when I'd found it delete it.

I did as I was told and was delighted and relieved to find "Mail Merge" back on the Tools menu.:thumb:

I have no idea what I actually did or how it worked but I just thought I'd post up in case anyone else ever has similar problems...

Lots of good wishes,

Ailsa XXXXXXXX

Ask a Question