Tool to compress on Linux a bunch of install files for Windows

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 MSI' started by Viviana Vc, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. Viviana Vc

    Viviana Vc Guest

    Hi all,

    I have the following requirement: provide an Windows installer to a
    company, where the administrator should be able to change a file in the
    package, let's say readme.txt, having just a Linux machine.

    So I was thinking to the following steps:
    1) - I can create an uncompressed package (so it will contain the msi,
    setup.exe and all additional files but they are all uncompressed into a
    directory)
    2) - provide this directory to the administrator
    3) - the admin can replace whatever files he wants
    4) - in order to distribute it to the Windows users, he will compress
    them into a package, using his Linux machine

    So, my problem is the step 4). Is there on Linux a tool that could do
    what the previously "InstallShield package for the Web" was doing?
    Meaning to pack together a bunch of files into a finalSetup.exe and set
    to run one of the files from the package (for instance the .msi or the
    setup.exe) if the finalSetup.exe is run? (So the package is for Windows,
    just the compressing everything together should be done on Linux). Is
    there such a tool on Linux?

    Thanks in advance,
    Viv

    Viviana Vc, Jan 24, 2006

  2. Viviana Vc

    _mik_inst Guest

    How about using PFTW inside an emulator such as WINE or VMWare?

    This would be the easiest way to get what you want....

    _mik_inst, Jan 25, 2006

  3. Viviana Vc

    Viviana Vc Guest

    Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Linux. I just have to provide a
    solution for Linux admins :)

    So, yes as WINE is free I could suggest this as a solution. Let's see if
    my bosses agree :)

    Thx,
    Viv

    Viviana Vc, Jan 26, 2006
  4. Viviana Vc

    mayayana Guest

    You can use an SFX file. I just tested it in Linux
    and it worked fine. Using PowerArchiver 6 (the
    last free version) on Suse10, under Wine .9.5,
    I put a Windows EXE into a new zip file. Then go
    to the menu, Actions -> Create EXE file. You get
    an option to create an SFX from the zip (a self
    executing zip file). An SFX is the zip with an EXE
    front end pasted onto it. The extension is EXE.
    When the file is run you have an option to choose
    where the zip unpacks to and you can choose a
    file to run after unpacking. I ran a test by putting a
    small exe into the zip, creating the SFX, assigning
    the small exe as the file to run after unpacking,
    then running the SFX. On both Windows and Linux
    the result was successful - the contained EXE ran
    and it's window opened.

    You don't have to use PowerArchiver, but you
    can, and the free v. 6 is still available online. But
    most zip programs can make SFX files.
    (One note: PA on Linux defaulted to creating a
    TAR file. A TAR cannot be used for an SFX. You
    have to make sure it saves as ZIP.)

    I'm also posting this to your Linux posts. You
    really should posted them together instead of
    multi-posting. People are working on your question
    separately over there.

    --

    (Remove Xs for return email.)

    mayayana, Jan 26, 2006
  5. The problem with this is that the information stored in the File table in
    the msi database (such as version, file size, and also the hash value) may
    no longer match the actual file.

    --
    Stefan Krueger
    Microsoft Windows Installer MVP

    Please post your questions in the newsgroup or vist one of these web sites:

    Windows Installer FAQ
    http://www.msifaq.com - http://www.msifaq.de

    InstallSite - Resources for Setup Developers
    http://www.installsite.org
    http://www.installsite.de (GERMAN)

    Stefan Krueger [MVP], Jan 27, 2006
  6. Viviana Vc

    Viviana Vc Guest

    > I'm also posting this to your Linux posts. You
    >really should posted them together instead of
    >multi-posting. People are working on your question
    >separately over there.

    Yes, I know, my mistake :(
    Viv

    Viviana Vc, Jan 27, 2006