Tony's FE Updater Help

Sam Stark

Tony's (granite) FE update is just what I'm looking for but I can't get it
to work . Anyone out there can help?

I click on workstation lnk and get "invalid command line"

EncPie.ini, EncPieL.lnk and startMDB.exe are in \\workstation2\FEUpdate the
server

\\workstation2\EncShar has the FE EncPie ver60.mdb

EncPie.ini file is:
[Settings]
MainApp=c:\Encompass\EncPie ver60.mdb
Server=\\workstation2\EncShar
ShortCut=\\workstation2\FEUpdate\EncPieL.lnk
CommandLine=
Shell=
Lockout=No
LockoutMsg=Sorry, not allowed into the system right now.
CreateShortCutOnDesktop=No
CreateShortCutOnCommonDesktop=Yes
WindowStyle=MaximizedFocus
Master=

[Keys]
;Root1=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
;Path1=SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Access\RefLibPath
;String1=tt_utils.mde
;Value1=$AppPath\tt_utils.mde

link file target EncPieL.lnk is

\\WORKSTATION2\FEUPDATE\StartMDB.exe /cmd /inifile:
\\WORKSTATION2\FEUPDATE\EncPie.ini

Tony Toews

Posted to newsgroup and emailed.

Darn. You should've posted with an obfuscated email address. Now
you'll start getting some serious spam.
Tony's (granite) FE update is just what I'm looking for but I can't get it
to work . Anyone out there can help?

I click on workstation lnk and get "invalid command line"
MainApp=c:\Encompass\EncPie ver60.mdb

The above line should be
MainApp=c:\Encompass\EncPie\ver60.mdb

Although I wouldn't necessarily put the 60 as part of the FE name as
you will have to change the INI file when you release a new version.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Sam Stark

Tony

I get so much SPAM now I wouldn't notice. Thanks for the reply. Especially
on the Holdiay it's much appreciated. But didn't work. "EncPie ver60.mdb"
is a file not a sub-directory and the "\" won't work. Perhaps there is a
UNC and mixed Mapped drive issue here. Problem with simple amateurs like me
working with exe not source code.

Look at my real simple solution below.

Used a PIF and it works- just have to move new FE in to Directory for a new
version. If there is no new FE no copy, if there is a new FE it copies,
real simple for me and of course users never see anything.

Batch File:
IF EXIST \\Workstation2\EncShar\EncPie60.mdb COPY
\\Workstation2\EncShar\EncPie60.mdb c:\Encompass\EncPie60.mdb
START "MSAccess.exe" c:\Encompass\EncPie60.mdb
EXIT

Tony Toews

Sam Stark said:
I get so much SPAM now I wouldn't notice. Thanks for the reply. Especially
on the Holdiay it's much appreciated. But didn't work. "EncPie ver60.mdb"
is a file not a sub-directory and the "\" won't work.

Ahh, oops. My fault.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

Tony Toews

Copy posted to newsgroup and emailed.
Server=\\workstation2\EncShar
ShortCut=\\workstation2\FEUpdate\EncPieL.lnk

You need both a server name and a share name here.
link file target EncPieL.lnk is

\\WORKSTATION2\FEUPDATE\StartMDB.exe /cmd /inifile:
\\WORKSTATION2\FEUPDATE\EncPie.ini

You also need a share name here. I'm assuming FEUPDATE is not a
share name but a directory name.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

Sam Stark

Tony

I want to make sure of nomenclature.

Server is "Workstation2"

Share Names for directories on server, permission granted on network and
appear on all clients, are "EncShar" (contains
copy of new FE appears as "EncShar on workstation2" on network) and
"FEUpdate" (has link, exe and ini and appears as "FEUpdate on workstation2")

Only mapped drive is workstation's or client's c:etc as mainapp in ini file
as destination of copied FE.

I don't know how I would rename anything.

Thanks

Tony Toews

posted to newsgroup and emailed.
I want to make sure of nomenclature.

Server is "Workstation2"

Share Names for directories on server, permission granted on network and
appear on all clients, are "EncShar" (contains
copy of new FE appears as "EncShar on workstation2" on network) and
"FEUpdate" (has link, exe and ini and appears as "FEUpdate on workstation2")

Only mapped drive is workstation's or client's c:etc as mainapp in ini file
as destination of copied FE.

I don't know how I would rename anything.

Ah, ok, I had assumed that EncShar and FEUpdate were folder names and
not share names.

Let me do some testing here because it's quite possible I've missed
something somewhere on the UNC stuff.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

Sam Stark

Tony

UNC is a bear which unfortunately I can't avoid. Mapping drives just
wouldn't work. Would be delighted to use your FEUpdater.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sam

Tony Toews

Sam Stark said:
UNC is a bear which unfortunately I can't avoid. Mapping drives just
wouldn't work.

Which I want to ensure I support as well.
Would be delighted to use your FEUpdater.

And I'm delighted to have a victim, err tester, of the UNC stuff.
<smile>

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

Joan Wild

I haven't used Tony's utility, but since your filename has a space in it,
don't you need to put double quotes around the path?
i.e. in the ini file

[Settings]
MainApp=c:\Encompass\EncPie ver60.mdb
make that

Joan Wild said:
I haven't used Tony's utility, but since your filename has a space in it,
don't you need to put double quotes around the path?
i.e. in the ini file

[Settings]
MainApp=c:\Encompass\EncPie ver60.mdb
make that
MainApp="c:\Encompass\EncPie ver60.mdb"

Sam can try that but double quotes are only really required in the
shortcut as far as I can tell.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

Douglas J. Steele

Assuming he's using the standard API call for reading INI files
(GetPrivateProfileString), no quotes are required. It'll return everything
to the right of the equal sign.

Tony Toews

Sam Stark said:
Tony's (granite) FE update is just what I'm looking for but I can't get it
to work . Anyone out there can help?

I click on workstation lnk and get "invalid command line"
\\WORKSTATION2\FEUPDATE\StartMDB.exe /cmd /inifile:
\\WORKSTATION2\FEUPDATE\EncPie.ini

Joan's guess was pretty close but in the wrong area.

The problem is that my utility assumes "s after the '/infile:' and at
the end of the target in the shortcut. Which aren't necessary in your
shortcut because you don't have any spaces in there. But that's the
way I wrote it.

IOW
\\WORKSTATION2\FEUPDATE\StartMDB.exe /cmd /inifile:
"\\WORKSTATION2\FEUPDATE\EncPie.ini"

Anyhow could you try that and let me know if it works. I'll make a
change to the utility so it supports both formats.

Tony
--

Tony Toews said:
Anyhow could you try that and let me know if it works. I'll make a
change to the utility so it supports both formats.

New version now available.

I also added a Copy to Clipboard button to make life easier for users
who need to report a problem to the developers. (Or for developers to
email me with details. Not that that ever happens. <smile>)

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

Sam Stark

Still comes back with invalid even with "? The pif works with the same UNC
exactly as described so it appears the problem is your parsing of the target
string to UNC.