Today's Walk

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Set out from home. Here's the target area.

attachment.php

Nearer now. This is the Kings Head pub at Newton under Roseberry. Used to be a lovely old pub but now more of a restaurant that doesn't really want drinkers. So the drinks cost an arm and a leg and the decor has been "updated" but not for the better.

attachment.php

On to the old church at Newton.

attachment.php

And then towards Roseberry Topping.

attachment.php

Some newborn lambs which had great difficulty walking.

attachment.php

Back home past Nunthorpe church.

attachment.php

Just an aside - the old Viking name for Roseberry was Ouseberg and over many centuries Ouse has morphed into Rose and Berg has morphed into Berry. Hence the modern name.

Interesting eh?

Attachments

• DSCF4440AB.jpg
    DSCF4440AB.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 434
  • DSCF4437A.jpg
    DSCF4437A.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 436
  • DSCF4425AB.jpg
    DSCF4425AB.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 463
  • DSCF4438A.jpg
    DSCF4438A.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 455
  • DSCF4450A.jpg
    DSCF4450A.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 394
  • DSCF4451A.jpg
    DSCF4451A.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 420

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Lovely photos Niv :thumb: The church and pub buildings look very characterful and the scenery is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like a cracking walk Niv, thanks for posting the pics :). Not been to the North Yorks moors for some time!

We're off for a walk-pub-walk tomorrow, can't wait :D

Reaction score
Oi nivrip you could have offered to have taken my dogs they would have loved it. Brilliant pictures, now I have retired I am hoping to have a few holidays by renting a holiday cottage that will allow dogs and you have given me an idea for next spring:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Seems our potential banned spammer, Mr Rooney, may have done some goodness reviving this thread ;)

Nowt strange as life eh our kid? :D

I've had a couple of holidays/week's break staying in Whitby, both with a car, and the walks in the surrounding countryside are quite stunning.

There's plenty nearby, other coastal resorts, a steam railway, the village where the TV series Heartbeat was filmed, oodles of beauty spots and some big old stately home where some TV series or film was shot, the name of which escapes me. Oh, and I walked past that military early warning system thingie once, loads of big white balls.

Plus Whitby itself where Bram Stoker had Dracula come ashore in his novel. The ruined Abbey on the clifftop oozes atmosphere.

Oh, and the pubs. Yes, the pubs. Fabulous :cheers:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
That village where heartbeat is filmed is called Goathland
And the pub the Aidensfield arms is actually the Goathland hotel right in the heart of the village, stayed there once and was most enjoyable, infact Nick Berry who used to act in the series lived just a couple of streets away from us where we used to live, and was always seeing him popping in and out of local shops there..
The North york moors steam railway is fabulous and a must see and ride if you are up that way..

Thanks for posting Niv :nod:

Reaction score
I'm looking for a place to go for a week in March 2012.
Niv, if it's not to rude any suggestions, oh and a decent pub with real ale would help!:D
Pub B&B or local hotel would be fine.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Wow ! I'm surprised to see this old post reappear.

I'm looking for a place to go for a week in March 2012.
Niv, if it's not to rude any suggestions, oh and a decent pub with real ale would help!

Difficult to personally recommend a place to stay as I've never stayed anywhere roundabouts (too close to home). But a place that seems to have a good reputation is Broom House at Egton Bridge, a pretty little village a few miles from Whitby. It's also very close to the North Yorks Moors Railway line which has lots of steam locos if you like that sort of thing.

Flops' resume of the area sums things up very well. The big old stately home he refers to is probably Castle Howard where Brideshead Revisited was filmed. The big white balls at Fylingdales Early Warning Station have been replaced by a large pyramid.

Staithes, Runswick Bay and Robin Hood's Bay are all quaint little seaside towns. You are also within fairly easy reach of Scarborough and even York. Pickering and Helmsley are market towns with castles.

There are a couple of nice pubs in Egton Bridge and a couple up the bank in Egton. Plus plenty in Whitby.

Probably be banned now for advertising. :D