Today I learned...

Reaction score
Oh dear, are you going to have to do a rebuild or will it be start from scratch, what has been damaged?:cry:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
TIL... that kangaroos are considered to have 5 legs!

How many legs does a kangaroo have? The correct answer, according to new research, is five. A study in this week's Biology Letters says that a walking kangaroo propels itself with its tail, essentially transforming the appendage into a fifth "leg."

The study found that the tail of a walking kangaroo works as hard as the leg of a comparably sized human strolling at the same speed. No other animal is known to employ its tail this way, and the study's authors speculate that use of the tail as a leg evolved to make the hop—a classic and unique kangaroo maneuver—more efficient.
Source: news.nationalgeographic.com

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Today I learned that am instrument called the Otamatone exists...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Today I learned I don't actually have toothache.

For the last week I have had a rotten cold and chest infection and because of all the medication I take for my heart antibiotics are off the list and I just have to ride it out. On Sunday to make matters worse I started getting what I thought was major toothache. So I booked an appointment at the dentist for today.
Went to appointment this morning and told the dentist about the pain I was having. He asked how long I had the cold for etc and I told him about a week. He said the toothache would probably be because my sinuses are blocked and would be putting pressure on a nerve that would make it feel like I had toothache. He took some precautionary X-rays which showed no sign of infection. He suggested I get some Sudafed from the chemist which I did. Got home and took the required dosage and within half an hour the pain has subsided and I can breath through my nose again.
Amazing how some things can be linked :thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you've been ill but I'm glad you managed to fix your 'tooth' ache! Seems like everyone is falling ill with colds at the moment :(

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
TIL that ....

Nelson Mandela's name at birth was "Rolihlahla" which means “troublemaker.”

Turned out to be the exact opposite, getting a black government in South Africa without any bloodshed was, IMO, almost a miracle. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
TIL... about these 5 cool new gadgets. The translator seems like it would be really useful - and just a little bit Star Trekky (but that could just be me!) The tiny quad-copter drone would be my next favourite.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
TIL... about these 5 cool new gadgets. The translator seems like it would be really useful - and just a little bit Star Trekky (but that could just be me!) The tiny quad-copter drone would be my next favourite.

That translator is great! I can imagine that really taking off. I wonder if it would discourage people from learning foreign languages though?

Also... hoping to get the Nico 360 camera to review :nod:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I wonder if it would discourage people from learning foreign languages though?

I sincerely hope not. I mean...

aed1d3d282d67f1437f6ae6c699ff2f9.jpg

:cry:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
TIL...

The average computer keyboard contains 3,295 microbes per square inch.

Eeew! (Wonder who counted 'em all?) ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
And, today I also learned...:

Using a plastic mold, Chinese farms have started to grow pears that resemble babies and are distributing them in supermarkets.

The mold gets clamped onto the fruit while it is still small enough to fit and then taken off when the fruit fills the mold. It will then continuing growing in the special shape.

Source (with pics) http://mashable.com/2014/08/19/pear-babies/#gBGJW1ucmkqR

Ask a Question