Time to reinstall?

G

I have XP Home, two HDs (20GB and 30GB Maxtors), 512 MB RAM, Roadrunner Cable. I have XP on C drive, and I've copied or moved everything else from C drive to D drive in preparation for reinstallation of Windows.

The problem

1. Screen freezing, especially while web surfing. The title bar (? -- the blue bar at the top of the screen) goes to inactive -- fades to light blue. I cannot do anything but cntrl-alt-delete to get Task Manager. When that window opens, I click End Program. The program doesn't actually end, but I can then close Task Manager and the web window has unfrozen. This freezing happens dozens of times a day now, so I'm constantly having to use Task Manager to unfreeze

2. Also, it's become almost impossible to open another Web window without first closing the one I'm in.

3. Finally, I've had several major errors: Everything freezes, then Windows comes on in Safe mode (huge fonts on giant video display) to tell me it's detected a major error and to save everything and then shut down. I restart, and everything is back to normal until the next time

So I thought I might have to reinstall Windows, though I think the problem is strictly limited to IE6. I've copied and moved all programs I want to keep, including Word, over to D drive

I don't really know how to reinstall. Do I have to uninstall XP first? And does anyone think reinstallation is really necessary, or can this problem be fixed another way

Thanks, and please forgive my ignorance. I'm no techie, just a writer. I'm still amazed at how voices go through phone lines

Bill

Ask a Question