Time to dump AVG?

john

Hi

I have been lurking here for a few months and have learnt a lot of
useful tips about computer security etc from this NG, so I feel that
this is the best forum to post to with my (not unique) problem.

I used AVG 6 for quite a while to replace NAV and was pleased with it.
No viruses got in and it behaved well. Along came AVG7, it also worked
perfectly, in fact, better as it took less time to do a scan (although
updates are VERY slow).

Then, after reading lots of posts in this NG I decided that Outlook
Express should e replaced by a more secure program. I installed
Thunderbird and it is brilliant, except for one problem.

AVG seems to have decided that I cannot send email to a certain address,
in fact, my wife's, and possibly others, and bounces them back locally
with the typical windows ambiguious message:
This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.

below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

(e-mail address removed): sorry, that domain isn't in my list of
allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

Your e-mail message is being returned to you in the next part of this
message. Try to send the message again.

Should you need assistance, please contact your administrator or your
internet service provider.

Subject:
test
From:
John <[email protected]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:24:11 +0000
To:
(e-mail address removed)

tbird

Googling this problem resulted in lots of hits so I am obviously not
alone, but there don't appear to be any fixes. Suggestions like
uninstalling AVG then re-installing didn't help. In fact after
re-install I was left with no internet access at all.

Fortunately, I was able to get back online by re-setting the Network
settings from Control Panel to the ones supplied from my ISP help line
when I had a previous connectivity problem about 6 months ago. This was
in Network settings\Enable DNS\etc.

Apart from the one outgoing address (so far) that AVG rejects
arbitarily, Thunderbird seems fine and Outlook Express still works
perfectly well. I can send test messages to myself but not to my wife,
but if I send from OE to my wife - no problem so incoming email is OK.

I can't find any settings to allow me to change permissions etc in AVG.

Is this a bug in AVG?

Is there a fix?

Should I ditch it and try an alternative AV?

Want to keep Thunderbird.

Win ME, AVG7, AdAware ,etc.

Sorry that this post turned out so long, for what might well turn out to
be "finger trouble" on my part!

Many thanks

John

David W. Hodgins

(e-mail address removed): sorry, that domain isn't in my list of
allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

This error message indicates you're trying to send mail through your isp's
mail server, but have not "signed in".

In thunderbird's options for the outgoing server (smtp), make sure the
"Use name and password" option is checked.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Casey

[...]

Subject:
test
From:
John <[email protected]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:24:11 +0000
To:
[...]

Try Calypso Mail client. It is even more secure than Thunderbird.
Features: totally configurable; multiple mailboxes; multiple
email accounts per mailbox; each mail box independent of the
others. The profile, setup, and address book for each mailbox
is contained in a file name.box. This file is encrypted so the
viruses that propagate internet by sending themselves to everyone
on the address book is defeated.
Calypso is free and works well with AVG7.
http://rosecitysoftware.com/calypso/
Casey

mad NATer

john said:
[...]

This is a TBird issue not AVG.

john

David said:
This error message indicates you're trying to send mail through your isp's
mail server, but have not "signed in".

In thunderbird's options for the outgoing server (smtp), make sure the
"Use name and password" option is checked.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Brilliant Dave!

It is working now.

Still not understanding why all other email was going through OK?

Hopefully I can now ditch OE and keep AVG.

DOH: it was finger trouble after all :)

Thanks again

John

David W. Hodgins

It is working now.

Glad it's working!
Still not understanding why all other email was going through OK?

There are two common methods for the smtp server to identify the sending user.

One is "smtp-auth", where the email client logs in with the user's name and password,
when sending the email.

The other is using "pop-before-smtp". When you check for new mail, the pop server
records your userid, and ip address, and an expiry time. When you then send mail,
you're already considered logged on, since you just logged in to the pop server.
The drawbacks to this method, are first that you can only send mail, if the record of
your last check for mail has not expired, and second, that your sending id, and receiving
id must be the same.

Many pop/smtp servers will support either method. I suspect the difference between
the email messages that were sent ok, and those that failed, had nothing to do with
who you were sending to, but instead, how long it had been since you checked for
new mail, before trying to send the new email message.
Hopefully I can now ditch OE and keep AVG.

Hopefully the next person who has trouble getting their av and email program working
together will see this post.

Getting rid of OE is good.

Getting rid of MS would be much better!

Regards, Dave Hodgins

someone@somewhere

john said:
[...]

Subject:
test
From:
John <[email protected]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:24:11 +0000
To:
[...]

The same combo works like a charm here ;)