Time synchronization with NIST

James Silverton

At the moment, I have time.nist.gov and time.windows.com set as
time servers. However, probably after recent "updates" to
Windows XP, I don't seem to be able to use time.nist.gov and
always get the message "An error occurred while Windows was
synchronizing with time.nist.gov" I can successfully ping
time.nist.gov and I would be grateful for suggestions to
re-enable time.nist.gov.

TIA

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

James Silverton

James wrote on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:02:55 -0400:

I guess I should have done some more searching and an earlier
suggestion to use 129.6.15.28 instead of time.nist.gov works
well. But, why oh why does time.nist.gov not work?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Cajunswabbie

James Silverton said:
James wrote on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:02:55 -0400:

I guess I should have done some more searching and an earlier suggestion
to use 129.6.15.28 instead of time.nist.gov works well. But, why oh why
does time.nist.gov not work?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Me I don't know. Time.nist.gov quit on me a long time ago. I use
"tock.usno.navy.mil". Of course I could be a little biased about that
server.
You might also try "time-a.nist.gov". They both work on my puter.

Cajunswabbie
U.S.N, Retired

James Silverton

Cajunswabbie wrote on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 01:39:41 -0500:

C> Me I don't know. Time.nist.gov quit on me a long time ago.
C> I use "tock.usno.navy.mil". Of course I could be a little
C> biased about that server.
C> You might also try "time-a.nist.gov". They both work on my
C> puter.

The whole thing is frustratingly erratic; I even got the message
"An error occurred while Windows was
synchronizing with time.windows.com". I suppose the failures
might have been due to having too many people trying to use the
sites and automatic Windows synchronization may be a little more
persistent.

In an experiment, 129.6.15.28 worked but when I pinged the
sites, time.nist.gov worked, time.windows.org failed and
129.6.15.28 had a 50% failure rate.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them when I have trouble
again.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

joseph2k

James said:
Cajunswabbie wrote on Fri, 30 Mar 2007 01:39:41 -0500:

C> Me I don't know. Time.nist.gov quit on me a long time ago.
C> I use "tock.usno.navy.mil". Of course I could be a little
C> biased about that server.
C> You might also try "time-a.nist.gov". They both work on my
C> puter.

The whole thing is frustratingly erratic; I even got the message
"An error occurred while Windows was
synchronizing with time.windows.com". I suppose the failures
might have been due to having too many people trying to use the
sites and automatic Windows synchronization may be a little more
persistent.

In an experiment, 129.6.15.28 worked but when I pinged the
sites, time.nist.gov worked, time.windows.org failed and
129.6.15.28 had a 50% failure rate.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them when I have trouble
again.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Ever since i learned how, i synchronize my computer clock to time servers.
I have found that in urbanized areas that there a multiplicity of public
time servers. As i use client only, i do not need a separate stabilized
clock. Microsoft, Novell, Red Hat, Sun, various pieces of milnet (visible
to the public), many universities, and many ISP's provide time service. I
use a competing ISP for one of my time servers (yes i usually configure a
handful). Finding them is the trick. Google can help.