This is not murder?

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tees/5010348.stm

The irony?

Mr Inglis was only there to climb the mountain that day because once, when he & a friend were busy freezing & very near to death, in an ice cave halfway up mount cook (The 'incident' in which he lost his legs), someone actually bothered to stop & help them.

How can reaching the top of a mountain (or 'The mountain') ever be more important than a mans life?

Even Hillary was Appalled & he does know about the variables involved in climbing that mountain.

And are we to pity Mr Inglis Agony over the decision? When David Sharp will never get the chance to do so.

I am ashamed & sickened that such a man can call himself a New Zealander.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I don't know the full circumstances, or anything really about mountain climbing - but I would like to think I would have tried to do something to help :confused:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
yeah, I know. But I can't help thinking that, if they had enough oxygen to get them all to the top of the mountain & down again... then they had enough oxygen to turn around & help someone else get down instead :(

They say they were one of the first to find him also...
That means they were one of the most likely to be able to get him down alive.
Do they think that trying to pass the buck makes them less culpable?

Last edited:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
The thing that makes me most sick
Is that the words I keep hearing echoing in my head
Go something like...

"Come on... someone else'll get him... we don't want to miss our shot do we?"

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I know I'll get stick for this but mountain climbing has never impressed me.

That story simply confirms my dislike of it.

You gonna risk your life and then expect the host country to enable all of it's emergency services to rescue you when you mess up?

Ok, I know mankind has to do things 'because it's there' but that story illustrates everything that's bad about obsession.

Don't climb a mountain, visit a Theme Park with your kids or spend a little more time with your mates down the pub.

Both options definitely more enjoyable/agreeable.

I mean, what kind of a conversation stopper is 'I climbed Everest' anyway?

I could think of a lot better, several of them involving Princess Anne, a team of 12 dancing midgets and an exclusive Mayonaise from a top Paris restaurant :D