floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feckit said:
The price of a 1 bedroom flat in south east london = 160k
The price of a 2 bedroom house in deepest somerset/devon = 160k
Which would you go for, i know what i would
nod.gif

Average employment chances in Somerset/Devon = ?
Average Emplyment chances in London = Good.
Average salary in Somerset = ?
Average salary in London = Better.

:p

But, have to admit, average price of one bedroomed flat round here ranges from £200K to £250K, adjoining areas may have flats for £180K but I haven't seen any round here for £160K just lately :(

I have relatives in Somerset, it's a nice place, but after a while I start getting twitchy - it is so QUIET ;)

Reaction score
Depends what you do, i'm willing to change from IT to anything if it meant i could go back to living in the countryside, i'm peeded off living in London:( Sorry, it's just the Monday blues...I'm off to watch my hero on DVD to cheer up:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
But, have to admit, average price of one bedroomed flat round here ranges from £200K to £250K, adjoining areas may have flats for £180K but I haven't seen any round here for £160K just lately :(

OMG :eek:

In Northumberland a 5 bed, 3 story brand new house was £140K about 4 years ago - probably about £240K now though.

Prices in Manchester have risen a lot now too, in nice areas of the city centre its probably around £200K for a 2 bed flat.

Not a clue how people can afford any of these, especially as 1/2 Million in London would buy a mansion in some places :(

I know what you mean about liking the buzz of a city, I couldn't live anywhere quiet at the moment!

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Flops
Go make a cup and saucer or something :p

I do
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

now knock it down and build a banking tower
happywave.gif

I would not swap my counties history and passion for any big city connabation , for any price...3 miles any direction from me is countryside,dales and peak district luvliness ...my idea of utopia ;)

my 3 bedroom semi cost £38,000 5 years ago ???

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Rush said:
my 3 bedroom semi cost £38,000 5 years ago ???
Wow! - I'll have 10 then please, I could knock 'em all together into one big house for the price of mine down here :nod:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
For feckit just to cheer him up ...i will add something relevent to the post underneath :)

Insults: Homer Simpson: Funny Simpsons Quotes
I don't mind being called a liar when I am lying, when I am about to lie or just finished lying... but not when I am telling the truth.

Parenting: Homer Simpson: Funny Simpsons Quotes
The sooner kids talk, the sooner they talk back. I hope you never say a word.

Relationships: Homer Simpson: Funny Simpsons Quotes
Don't eat me. I have a wife and kids. Eat them.

Aw, Dad, you've done a lot of great things, but you're a very old man, and old people are useless.

Come family! Sit in the snow with daddy and let us all bask in television's warm, glowing, warming glow.

Spirituality: Homer Simpson: Funny Simpsons Quotes
Dear Lord, the Gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever... Thy will be done. (chomp, chomp, chomp)

Television: Homer Simpson: Funny Simpsons Quotes
It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to squeeze in 8 hours of TV a day.

Weird Humor: Homer Simpson: Funny Simpsons Quotes
Marge, you being a cop makes you the man! Which makes me the woman... and I have no interest in that; besides occasionally wearing the underwear, which as we discussed, is strictly a comfort thing!

Weird Humor: Homer Simpson: Funny Simpsons Quotes
Remember that postcard Grandpa sent us from Florida of that alligator biting that woman's bottom? That's right, we all thought it was hilarious. But it turns out we were wrong. That alligator was sexually harassing that woman.

Work: Homer Simpson: Funny Simpsons Quotes
I'm used to seeing people promoted ahead of me... friends, co-workers, Tibor. I never thought it'd be my own wife.

Come on, honey. You work yourself stupid for this family. If anyone deserves to be wrapped up in seaweed and buried in mud, it's you.

You heard me; I won't be in for the rest of the week... I told you! My baby beat me up! No, it is not the worst excuse I ever thought up.

Your expensive London house must be filled with hilarious cries of laughter m8 ,
happywave.gif
are you happier :p

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Me, I love where I live. Over here Dunedin is one of NZd's major cities, but given that London has many times the entire population of New Zealand I expect we would probably only qualify as a middling town over there (I expect it would bore you to tears Flops) but where we live we are out of the city itself, tucked in amoungst the hills & bush, right next to the sea & surrounded by the sounds of birds (see, I told you it would drive you potty flops:) ) but only 20mins drive from the city & with NO traffic jams; To me that's perfect.
I grew up in Alexandra (amoungst other places... we used to move around a bit) & you couldn't pay me enough to live there again. Absolutely nothing to do & everyone knows everything about you & everything you ever did *shudder*.
Dunedin is largely a university town (luckily one of the most respected in the country) & so has a very mobile population which gives it a life that a place of this size might otherwise lack.
But even so, house prices here were VERY low until about 3-4 years ago. back then my house (2 br) was probably worth about $50-60K (given that a £ is still roughly 2 & a half times the NZ dollar that wouldn't buy a garden shed over there :rolleyes:) Then overseas buyers, particularly British & American, noticed how cheap houses were over here & started buying up properties & house prices started to climb. I bought my place for $150K & 2 months later it was worth 200K & climbing. Prices skyrocketed like nothing we had ever seen before over here. Now you can pay 1/2 a mill for places that would've fetched 90K 5 years ago. But, as you pointed out exmoor, although our cost of living is still relatively low, incomes, & Job opportunities, are also very low. The 'Brain Drain' is still a major problem here as more & more of our graduates head over seas to try & find work & decent wages.
My ex brings in $40K teaching 3rd year graphics at the university computer science dpt. One of his students has just recently been the center of a battle between Dreamworks & Pixar & the annual wages they are offering would buy out every house in the bay I live in every year (no, I'm really not exaggerating). That sort of income just doesn't exist in New Zealand. Especially if you work in Comp sci or IT.
Me, I'm just glad that I bought this place when I did. There is no way that I could afford it now. But all in all the change in house prices over such a short period of time has been a major shock to our country. Up until now no one really noticed NZ at all. Even if people had heard of it most just thought it was a state of Australia or the like:rolleyes: Now it's "welcome to the real world" & things aren't going back.

One thing I'm sad about though. Huge Numbers of NZd's High country sheep stations have been bought up by American buyers who have a very different cultural attitude to property than us. Here the high country has always been regarded as an essential part of our heritage. The 'country code' is bred into us from before we can walk & even if we never go there we all know that we can. It's ours. All of ours. The owners are only ever caretakers for future generations. In this day & age this attitude probably makes no sense to any of you. Maybe it's an aspect of Maori culture that has become a part of NZ culture as a whole, who knows.
As a teenager my sister & I would borrow a couple of stock horses from Earnscleugh Station & would ride all over the hills. So long as we shut the gates & left the stock alone there was never any restrictions.
Now the stiles are gone, many of the gates have "No tresspassing" signs on & even if there aren't any signs, hikers, riders & people driving out for a 'sunday picnic' are being ordered off the land. Occasionally at gunpoint.
Access to the hills and mountains was always such an ingrained part of our way of life that it was never protected by law.
& now these same farmers are trying to get "The queens chain" law revoked as well. Denying us access to our beaches & waterways. And although their numbers aren't large votewise (the average station is measured in miles, not acres so there isn't a massive number of them) They are the people with the money & the govt is listening:(.
Sorry, didn't mean to go on. I should go :(