these specs any good?

Reaction score
A friend of my dads has offered to build me a computer. He said ''this is a good pc,although it hasn't got the
best parts in the world, thats why you can have it for £400''

they look OK the parts although i just wanted to check with you guys if it is easily upgradeable(when i get the money) and futureproof. Il mainly play the new counter strike game and first person shooters like half-life2, maybe Doom-3 ect ect will theese specs play them well?

Here are the specs:
Asus A7v880 Motherboard

AMD Sempron 3000+ Processor

512 MB RAM (Corsair)

120GB Hard Disk (Maxtor SATA)

Philips 16x Dual Layer DVD-RW (+)

ATI 9600 Pro 256MB Graphics Card

Gigabit LAN

Sony Floppy Drive

Twin Blue LED 8cm Cooling Fans

500w PSU

Dracula Black + Chrome ATX Case (With Carry Handle)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It is probably what I would call an 'entry level' system nowadays. Reasonable spec's for the price.

However, the MB & CPU will not readily be upgradeable or future proof ... the MB is a socket 'A' and will take a better CPU if AMD still produces them.

The game players out there will be better placed with advice on any restrictions it may have.

:)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i dont know how good the semprons are over say a barton but it sounds good also the graphics card will handle most games but im not sure about doom 3 you may be pushing it, the motherboard as mucks said is not really any good for upgrading, ok you could change graphics card etc but the CPU will still be a limit, a AMD64 754pin 3000 and motherboard combo might be better with a although AMD will stop making them soon

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
For the money it's fine. Will do you OK for at least a year, maybe two.

You are going to be limited to never having a faster processor than 2.2Ghz though (unless you overclock).

The graphics card will just about handle HL2. Doom 3 - maybe/maybe not.

But you can upgrade the graphics card.

I don't think you'll do a lot better for the money, as long as you understand the limitations - go for it :)

Just one question - what make is the PSU? 500W don't mean diddly squat unless you know the make.

Reaction score
Hi people wnder if you can help me is my pc any good for games i have a:
and is my graphics card any good.
jetway motherboard

AMD sempron 3000+
1024 RAM
nvidia geforce FX 5700LE

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Chris built a computer with specs similar to that, it a good gaming computer but will you will not be able to play the latest games as full potential.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I'd say its worth it. It will play probably any game out today, but with low res and detail im afraid. But when your a true gamer ya dont worry too much about deatail here and there ;).

You could always buy a new graphics card and get some more memory to increase the gaming potency of it, but I should think it will be fine for a long time.

It wont be future proof for 64 bit compatability, but there will be plenty of people who wont be upgrading to 64 bit straight the way ;).

You could do alot worse for £400.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
should do you fine for a while as long as you don't want to play doom 3 with all the eye candy turned on, but for your average game with some detail turned off should suffice...;)

Reaction score
G~MAN said:
A friend of my dads has offered to build me a computer. He said ''this is a good pc,although it hasn't got the
best parts in the world, thats why you can have it for £400''

they look OK the parts although i just wanted to check with you guys if it is easily upgradeable(when i get the money) and futureproof. Il mainly play the new counter strike game and first person shooters like half-life2, maybe Doom-3 ect ect will theese specs play them well?

Here are the specs:
Asus A7v880 Motherboard

AMD Sempron 3000+ Processor

512 MB RAM (Corsair)

120GB Hard Disk (Maxtor SATA)

Philips 16x Dual Layer DVD-RW (+)

ATI 9600 Pro 256MB Graphics Card

Gigabit LAN

Sony Floppy Drive

Twin Blue LED 8cm Cooling Fans

500w PSU

Dracula Black + Chrome ATX Case (With Carry Handle)

£400 sounds a bit much to me, especially as there's no mention of a display and u aren't getting any real warranty. The benefit, i guess, is that your getting a ready-built system that presumably you'll seen working before you pay? For £100 more u could get a better system new I reckon;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks guys with your replies.....

i've decided not to buy it. mainly because iv found a great deal on a website with new 64 bit better grahics for around £600 so i may aswell spend the money and get a better computer... and plus iv managed to save up a bit more money lol
:D

thanks again G~MAN

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
getting stuff online is usually cheaper than buying from a computer retailer.

Reaction score
yes i suppose.

but i am saving alot lol its a whole computer that they send not made ( so i suppose i save on labour costs) i think i save around £100 - £200 plus the parts are all decent and futureproof

Reaction score
HI i need your help i want to upgrade my pc to play all pc games on high graphics what do you recommend i do at the moment i have a

jetway motherboard
AMD semron 3000+
1Gig of RAM
and a Nvidia geforce FX 5700LE

what do you think i should do

Reaction score
mattyfatty said:
... i want to upgrade my pc to play all pc games on high graphics what do you recommend i do at the moment i have a

jetway motherboard
AMD semron 3000+
1Gig of RAM
and a Nvidia geforce FX 5700LE

what do you think i should do

Upgrade the vid is all (Not really familiar with Jetway boards):thumb:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Video card, if you can afford it i suggest the Geforce 6 series or the Radeon X800 series.

Reaction score
hey guys just wondering is my pc temperature alright my AMd sempron processor is at 40c with no load and goes up to 46c when under load and my system temperature is 32c

is this normal temp for the type of system

Last edited:
Reaction score
hey guys can you help ive nstalled a new fan in my pc next to my graphics card and it is made of plastic would the heat from the graphics card melt it