The Toshiba Tecra S1 No Audio/Sound Problem: Full Details & Request For Help

Doctor S

(Please excuse the cross-posting: I have posted to every forum I have ever
found an instance of this issue mentioned in an effort to tie everything
together).

I am hoping someone out there has resolved the following audio issue with
the Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop.

Multiple instances of the problem have been posted across the web and I have
referenced five of these below.

SYMPTOMS:

Audio is working fine, then:

1. 'Slow' sound (like a tape played half speed or with flat batteries) from
system speakers and from headphones via headphone jack.

2. This is for sound produced by any application: WMP, MusicMatch,
RealPlayer, Windows start-up and shutdown, PowerDVD - anything!

3. The sound source can be a .wav, .mp3, realmedia, traditional music CD or
a DVD - anything!

4. Eventually no sound at all comes from system speakers or from headphones
via headphone jack.

5. However, if one 'jiggles' the headphone plug in the headphone jack, sound
(still 'slowed') comes from headphones or system speakers but sound is one
channel only (i.e. not stereo). This is hard to maintain as one must hold
the headphone plug with pressure and jiggle it about in order to make this
happen.

See the five referenced posts below for other descriptions of these
symptoms.

FIX ATTEMPTS:

.. I have uninstalled/reinstalled drivers and devices (CD Drive/Modem/Sound
Card).
.. I run Win XP OS.
.. I have booted with all services disabled.
.. I have run the DirectX diagnostics and disabled acceleration.
.. I have made sure I have not accidentally tripped Win Media Player's
'speed' setting.
.. I am running the latest Toshiba Tecra S1 BIOS.
.. I am using the latest sound card driver and have uninstalled/reinstalled
the driver.
.. No warning triangles in Device Manager "device is working"
.. Every other aspect of the Tecra S1 is working fine.

TOSHIBA?

US have no mention of this issue on their site.

Toshiba Australia have told me by phone that, irrespective of the multiple
instances of this unique error, they deny any problems of this kind with the
Tecra S1.

ANYONE KNOW MORE?

Obi Wan, Yoda, The One, Anyone? Has anyone resolved this issue?

Please let us all know via these forums.

Fingers crossed! :)

Dr. S.

Here are multiple instances of Toshiba Tecra S1 owners experiencing exactly
the same symptoms. Each complaint is clearly just a different way of
describing the above symptoms.

---- INSTANCE 1 ----

From: Nick ([email protected])
Subject: Slow Audio Playback
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.music
Date: 2003-12-01 06:00:28 PST

I have a Toshiba Tecra S1 with XP Pro. The laptop is
playing all audio too slowly. This includes MP3s on the
hard drive, CDs, DVDs & streaming, and it happens on
whatever media player I use. Strangely enough, it only
happens about 80% of the time, and occasionaly works OK.
Toshiba don't have a clue, and I have updated the sound
card drivers and de/reinstalled the media players, but it
still has the problem. Anyone got any ideas?

The audio is playing as if it were a tape player that was
low on batteries, so al voices sound much lower than they
really are!

Thanks,

Nick.

INSTANCE 1 LINK:

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?...=UTF-8&edition=au&selm=084b01c3b813$50f70040%

24a301280a%40phx.gbl&rnum=2

---- INSTANCE 2 ----

From: Sharyn ([email protected])
Subject: Audio has stopped working
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: 2003-12-30 19:10:19 PST

I have a Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop running XP. It has a
built in SoundMax device with a driver dated Nov 2002. I
have just loaded DirectX 9.0b.

The sound was working fine after the installation of the
DirectX update, however it suddenly stopped working (may
have been after a reboot).

There is now NO sound (system or otherwise) from the
laptop, however all diagnostics and testing and device
checks show that everything is working ok and I get no
errors anywhere indicating that anything is wrong.

All help appreciated.

Thanks, Sharyn

INSTANCE 2 LINK:
http://groups.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&edition=au&threadm=050301c3cf50%2480ec77e0%24a501280a%40phx.gbl&rnum=5&pre
v=/groups%3Fq%3Dtecra%2Bs1%2Baudio%26hl%3Den

%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-
8%26edition%3Dau%26selm%3D050301c3cf50%252480ec77e0%2524a501280a%2540phx.gbl
%26rnum%3D5

---- INSTANCE 3 -----

"Sound Card sucks" 20-Nov-2003 09:21:13 AM

Cons: Sound card is crappy. Sound cards have bugged out. No sound unless
headphones or speakers plugged in, and half the sound comes out at best.

INSTANCE 3 LINK:
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Toshiba_Tecra_S1/4852-3121_16-21063848.html

---- INSTANCE 4 -----

"toshiba laptop music slows down by half" 2004-02-10 23:28:17 PST

Dear all,
I need some advice on this. I have a Toshiba Tecra 1.5 GHz, 512 Mb.
Recently the sound/music is playing up in that:
1) with the fist boot up, every bit of sound/music slows down by half.
Kylie Minogue sounds like Frank Sinatra.
2) But with a reboot, the sound playback speed returns to normal!

However, this happy state of things didn't last. Now the sound/music
just stays half speed."

INSTANCE 4 LINK:
http://groups.google.com.au/groups?...&[email protected]

gle.com

---- INSTANCE 5 ----

"All sounds slow on Tecra S1" 2004-01-13 09:50:55 PST

"I guess this is more a software issue but I haven't come across it on
any other machine, ever. When I reboot and sometimes on a cold boot, all
sounds are slow on the machine. That is, music, voice (on VoIP phone),
windows bootup music, videos etc all play around half speed.
A shut down and reboot usually fixes it but I haven't been able to
figure out the problem. I have the latest BIOS and all the latest
drivers. Am running XP Pro that came with the machine.
Anyone got any ideas?"

INSTANCE 5 LINK:
http://groups.google.com.au/groups?...au&[email protected]

oor.is.net.cable.rogers.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dtecra%2Bs1%2Bno%2Baudi
o%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-

8%26edition%3Dau%26selm%3DObZMb.10585%2524ZuL1.7702%2540twister01.bloor.is.n
et.cable.rogers.com%26rnum%3D1

Michael Rainey

I have a new A45-S150 (Sound Max audio) which suddenly lost its sound.
I was able to fix my problem (so far, anyway) with a patch from the
Toshiba website.

I understand that it's not a Tecra, but maybe it could lead you to
something. There is a reference to a Microsoft Knowledge Base
article.

Seems like a LOT of Toshiba owners have sound problems.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...701&smoid=true&ct=DL&ListType=Model&x=23&y=12

Title: Microsoft QFE KB822624 for Windows XP on Satellite A40/A45
models
Version: KB822624XP
Size: 434,920 bytes
Released Date: 02/06/04
Operating System: Windows XP

hangs with a black screen, or the sound is lost after restart.

Package: WinZIP self-installing ZIP file. Can also be unZIPped using
PKUnZip 2.04g or equivalent. This self-extracting Zip file also
supports unattended installation when executed with /auto

Applicable Models: Satellite A45-S1202, A45-S2502, A45-S1301,
A45-S130, A40-S2701, A40-S270, A40-S2001, A40-S200, A45-S2501,
A45-S250, A45-S1501, A45-S150, A45-S1201, A45-S120