The new Mega-PC is alive!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Last component arrived yesterday (Mon 6th Feb)

Installing Windows 10 64bit Pro now.

AMD Ryzen 17X CPU
Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 heatsink & fan
Asus Strix X370-F (Gaming) Motherboard
16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 (@3200)
AMD Sapphire Radeon RX580 'Nitro' 8GB Graphics Card
Samsung V-Nand 850 (500GB) SSD EVO M.2
Samsung V-Nand 850 (500GB) 3.5" SSD EVO
Corsair RM850x 80+ Gold
NZXT H440 Mid-Tower Case (white)

Existing keyboard / mouse & monitors

:user:

muckshifter

Reaction score
had to call MS for activation ... :fool:

all sorted, now downloading ALL the flipping updates ... wonder how long that's gonna take. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looks like a great machine Mr Mucks let us know how it performs, I'd be interested in hearing how the Ryzen and AMD graphics perform in particular.

Didn't go for an M.2 storage then?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oooh, nice, Do like those NZXT cases.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's a beast of a PC you've got there! :D

Who did you have to bribe to get a graphics card @muckshifter :lol:. They're out of stock almost everywhere! Good job finding one :thumb:.

Does it feel noticeably faster than your previous one?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Who did you have to bribe to get a graphics card

Amazon ... I bought it in December 2017 for £277.50 and I thought they were being funny over the price, but they were the only ones who had any 580s

I see now they are £465. :eek: :rolleyes:

Faster? well cinebench say it is. :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think you got in just in time :D. I've got a friend building a PC and he couldn't find any sensibly priced graphics cards, unless going for a pre-built PC from one of the big names like Dell.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Mr Mucks let us know how it performs, I'd be interested in hearing how the Ryzen and AMD graphics perform in particular.

OK, I've had some time to 'evaluate' the performance gain over my 'old' system. This is not going to be any in-depth review by any means, just an on-hands looksee.

As I've already said, I get a great Cinebench R15 score, it consistently runs over 1500 (1533 on this run) and OpenGL comes in at 90.64 also.

VR ready, yep. Well, so is the old system.

Games? I don't play First Person Shooters, most of the games I play are old, however, I DO see a remarkable improvement in play, very smooth, vivid & colourful. There is a genuine FPS boost in ALL of my games, and, DX11 is no longer a problem in Lotro. I do have one DX12 game that can 'test' the system out a little ... Ashes of the Singularity ... re-installing now, should have a result at the end of this post. :)

Other noticeable changes are in the quality of graphics I see. Same monitors as before, but with a new richness I found hard to achieve with the AOC monitor. It was always too bright, had to constantly swap-out display profiles until my chosen default would work. The first time I booted to the desktop with one of my wallpapers blew me away. It's beautiful. Windows seems to have chosen the right profile. :D

It's taken me almost a year to collect and gather all the components needed for this build, I was determined not to 'rob' anything off my 8350. I'm glad I bought the Ryzen 1700X, and very lucky to get a Sapphire Radeon RX580 Nitro, fact is, I'm more than pleased with all my chosen components. The motherboard (Asus Strix) came out just at the right time to.

Would I change anything? Nope!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good to hear Mr Mucks, it would be good for AMD to level the playing field with the Ryzen series of CPUs.

Are the AMD graphics drivers ok?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Last component arrived yesterday (Mon 6th Feb)

Installing Windows 10 64bit Pro now.

AMD Ryzen 17X CPU
Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 heatsink & fan
Asus Strix X370-F (Gaming) Motherboard
16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 (@3200)
AMD Sapphire Radeon RX580 'Nitro' 8GB Graphics Card
Samsung V-Nand 850 (500GB) SSD EVO M.2
Samsung V-Nand 850 (500GB) 3.5" SSD EVO
Corsair RM850x 80+ Gold
NZXT H440 Mid-Tower Case (white)

Existing keyboard / mouse & monitors

Neat build. You'll have years of fun with it. :cool:

Ask a Question