The new government-spying laws...

Reaction score
Have any of you read about the ridiculous new law the government has put into use as of today?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/te...n_section=News&in_sub_section=&in_chn_id=1469

Basically, nearly 800 public bodies (including poxy ones) will have free reign to see your phone records for whatever reason they like without having to keep a record of it.

And by 2009 it will apply to internet and email as well.

Its less the actual change in law, and more the principle. We get spyed on all the time already, let alone our private phone calls and emails.

Reaction score
PotGuy said:
Have any of you read about the ridiculous new law the government has put into use as of today?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/te...n_section=News&in_sub_section=&in_chn_id=1469

Basically, nearly 800 public bodies (including poxy ones) will have free reign to see your phone records for whatever reason they like without having to keep a record of it.

And by 2009 it will apply to internet and email as well.

Its less the actual change in law, and more the principle. We get spyed on all the time already, let alone our private phone calls and emails.

there was something in the daily mirror about this.

So is this way to fight war on terror within the uk.

This is,nt going to stop people bombing at all , they will not just used the net or phones to tap.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Daily Mail and The Daily Mirror. I see.

Sorry to upset you but our Goverment has always done whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted and it didn't and still doesn't give a damn about your so called rights.

The public is fed just the right amount of rubbish to make it feel, in equal parts, both threatened and protected.

Do you really think your vote counts? :lol:

The USA controls who the ruling political party in the UK is, even down to the individual who is supposedly running the show.

You probably think I'm a loony for saying that, but, well, it no matter :)

The Customs and Excise Officers in the UK have more powers than the police.

MI5, MI6 and unknown spooks can do whatever the hell they like.

Your freedom is only perceived and only enjoyed as long as you comply.

Which may or may not be a good thing really.

All I'm saying is - don't kid yourself - all the time you're getting in a huff about the carefully conceived outrages the so-called free press are feeding you, you really are not noticing the real issues.

Big Brother has existed ever since mankind walked upright and understood the word 'KIngdom'

Nothing's changed :)

Everytime you moan about something you believe to be factual that you read or heard about in our media, you're conforming to Goverment issue.

Have a nice day :)

Reaction score
Yes, I read about this today...I think they planned the law to come into effect at conference time so it would get less press coverage.

I can't help but think that those with the power who let these laws through would be the first to complain if they were the average member of the general public. It may possibly help to track down terrorists, but if the US and UK and others kept out of other countries' politics then perhaps there wouldn't be so many bloody terrorists in the first place:wall:

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
I think it will act as a deterrant, but the terrorists will find a way around it, as they will any deterrant.

Now we got 'em, we won't lose them. (The terrorists)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Electronics & Photo Fan said:
So you think there's a conspiracy?

:lol:

Oh, the innocence.......

Do you not watch the TV news at all, or read the newspapers?

I take my news from the Net, I quit newspapers twelve years ago and TV 8 years ago.

And I don't believe what I read on the Net either. Look between the lines? No need, really, it's kinda obvious....

They are both purveyors of population pacifiers and if you belive what you're fed and respond to it one way or another then they're happy cos their program is working.

Don't believe me?

Then feel happy cos ignorance is, quite literally, bliss :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Sorry to upset you but our Goverment has always done whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted and it didn't and still doesn't give a damn about your so called rights.

The public is fed just the right amount of rubbish to make it feel, in equal parts, both threatened and protected.

Do you really think your vote counts?
laughingsmiley.gif

The USA controls who the ruling political party in the UK is, even down to the individual who is supposedly running the show.

You probably think I'm a loony for saying that, but, well, it no matter :)

The Customs and Excise Officers in the UK have more powers than the police.

MI5, MI6 and unknown spooks can do whatever the hell they like.

Your freedom is only perceived and only enjoyed as long as you comply.

Which may or may not be a good thing really.

All I'm saying is - don't kid yourself - all the time you're getting in a huff about the carefully conceived outrages the so-called free press are feeding you, you really are not noticing the real issues.

Big Brother has existed ever since mankind walked upright and understood the word 'KIngdom'

Nothing's changed :)

Everytime you moan about something you believe to be factual that you read or heard about in our media, you're conforming to Goverment issue.

Old Grump !!
icon12.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
nivrip said:
Old Grump !!
icon12.gif

Were it that simple... ;)

On the contrary, I'm not grumpy because I understand.

I don't let the media/big brother/public pacifier/goverment propaganda bring me down or annoy me because I understand it's all a falsehood.

It's a falsehood in as much as, ok, yes, some of it may be true, but the info is leaked to the public to keep them at each other's throats and divided.

Divide and rule.

Any political ruling party fears harmony and co-operation, because the population may just notice the truth once their attention is averted from the crap they're being spoon fed by the powers that be.

Oh, I'm off on one this evening, lol.... ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
bowdown.gif
flopps

so true, the government do what they want and they dont care what anyone thinks, they just do it

so much for demoracy eh?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Joking aside Flops I have to agree,in principle, with a lot that you say.

I can't think of anything that this government has done in the last 10 years that mkes me feel that they have done a good job. Crime, education, pensions, Iraq, immigration, NHS and the EU are all a shambles and yet the population still seem to be relatively happy with this lot. I read that two thirds of the public want a referendum on the EU constitution but,as usual, the government ignores this. Where did democracy go?

(I'm getting grumpy now) :mad:

Reaction score
the citizens of the usa are equally oppressed by the nsa and other agencies.
they collect tons of data daily on you, personally.

this terrorism bs is the excuse they use to crush civil liberties, freedom or whatever you call it.

the "free nations" "democracies" or whatever you wish to call us will very very soon be extinct at the hands of our own governments. we are like the baby being squeezed to death by the boa, or the frog in water heating to boil.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Electronics & Photo Fan said:
You Believe it's a falsehood...

Each to their own.

Hey, it came as a bit of a shock to me as well when I first realised.

I was once passionate about politics, good natured bantering and this belief that I could actually change something, thinking that what I said mattered, that it counted.

I can't, it doesn't and if I believe that last one I'm only fooling myself.

I once read something like 'To live outside the law one must live within it'

And with that in mind I still love my fellow human beings but mostly I'm just looking out for me, let those fools destroy themselves, I will do whatever I can to survive, keep my head above water and go through this life with as little attention from Big Brother as is possible.

But whatever, if'n it makes you feel better, go on living in a fool's paradise, 95% of the tabloid reading Public can't be wrong can they? :)

Reaction score
certainly not! i believe everything the governemnt, er tabloids tell me! LOL

Reaction score
:p Here's an idea...

Let all forums, blogs and websites carry a thread or page or link called 'We know you are reading this'...just to remind those nosey peeps in government out there that we are keeping an eye on them too:p

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Have to agree with Flops on this one. Maybe not to quite the same degree, but I'm afraid I do nevertheless. It's not even about conspiracy theories in the end. It's really just common sense. You get to the top of the heap there's a few people/organisations/governments with a lot of money & a lot more power. Even your average Joe Blogs is not likely to sit around picking his a*rse when s/he thinks s/he knows how things ought to be done (ever had your mother-in-law tell you how to roast a chicken?) & has the power to enforce it. The buggas at the top aren't any different, they just operate on a much larger scale. And of course they control the flow of information. Information IS power. It would be stupid of them not to use a tool like that.
I don't know who's 'running things' & frankly I don't want to know, but I'm pretty sure it's not the people out the front. & it may be easy to blame the American government, but I don't really think they're any less puppets than the rest of us. Although whether or not they actually know this is an interesting question in it's own right.

But, the real bottom line is that, as far as we are concerned it is all irrelevant.
I do believe our vote does count for something because it would simply be stupid for any governing body to try & run all of the day to day stuff themselves, that is what our 'local government' is for. Town councils on a global scale. And there are good & bad there.
But when it comes to the big things I take flops view. I really don't think there's anything we can do about it & I'm not going to waste the rest of my life staring at the sky waiting for some bomb to fall. If it does it does... in the meantime I'm going to look after myself & the people I care about & enjoy my life as much as I can :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I do actually have some damn good evidence to justify the views I expressed above but I don't want a visit from any spooks so I staying tight-lipped...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But, everything I feared has come true :eek:

I awoke this morning and looked out my bedroom window.

Outside hundreds and hundreds of Chinese and Korean troops thronged around and were busy harrassing and rounding up members of the great British public.

It seemed they had landed en masse and had with them tanks, armoured vehicles and remote controlled rickshaws.

I soon deduced that their fiendish plan to dominate the UK was to force every adult member of the UK population to buy at least two counterfeit DVD movies :eek:

So as I peer, full of dread, from my bedroom window I soon realise that every single household across this fair nation will soon be in throes of agony from having to watch at least two long movies made with a cheap hand held camcorder within a cinema from the fifth row from the front.

And you all thought WW3 wasn't likely?

I did suspect it myself but I never thought World Domination could be so ghastly....

.....oh! it was just a dream..... oh...

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
:lol: pmsl :lol:

Thank you flops... I wondered what all that moaning outside was but I never dreamed it could be so terrible! :eek:
I shall grab my family & flee for our lives before they reach us!

Ask a Question